Back to Amravati

Posted By Author on June 21, 2010

It was raining yet and I had to take bath.  Message came that both of us be sent.  We went in and were sitting in his hut.  Baba got up and in his usual style held Radhakant’s ear and showered slaps on his cheeks.  He would wash hand and again repeat the performance then said, “ I sent a copy of letter written to you to Ramkrishna and therefore you sent a copy of letter written by you to Ratan and Krishnakant. You took revenge.  Did you not feel ashamed?  You have ego.  You bring money?  Idiot, Mother sends money. Who are you or I to get money?”  Baba washed his hands with lemons and again smacked him.  Radhakant was absolutely silent. Then the storm quelled. Baba permitted us to leave today only.  Gave directions to Radhakantji.
We took lunch.  Baba called us.  He told Radhakant to come back on 13th June.  He wanted to return Mitranand’s loan of thirteen hundred rupees and for that he ordered to sell utensils and cows. I told him that I have already extended the date from Mitranand.  I was happy to see that the storm in the teacup was over. Everything was set right.

Before leaving both of us called on Baba and told him that I could reach Calcutta just in time.  He said, “Even if you would have represented there was no harm.  As a Government servant what would have happened?  Anyway at the end of July or in the beginning of August you will have to give up service. At the most delay of a month here and there.  I shall inform you accordingly.  The moment you reach home send telegram.”  We bowed.  He remained silent and did some sort of casting on us probably to give strength.     Again he took out his Bengali Almanac and after studying reminded me to leave house on 11th June after 2.30 P.M. to go to Bombay in quest of loan from Tata and others.

It was raining substantially.  Servant Managalsingh carried our luggage.  Ramanidada crossed the bridge to see us off.  Rumor was that traffic would close again.  Left Kunda chatti at 5 P.M. occupied a room in Dharamshala at Rudraprayag.  A young Home Guard Officer S.M. Banerjee was roommate.  People were not getting tickets for days together.  Through his good offices I booked tickets of the first gate next morning.  At night Radhakant and Mr. Banerjee were engaged in spiritual discussion and the latter was spellbound by Radhakantji’s knowledge.  I enjoyed.

We reached Srinagar and from there only one bus was to go ahead.  It was booked full.  I managed a truck and both of us sat in the front seats.  Thank God we were in level area.  The tyre did burst we escaped certain death by whiskers There was no stepney.  The driver removed a wheel from the rear pair and fitted it in front.  We reached late at Deoprayag.

We had bath and lunch at Deoprayag and continued our journey.  Before Rishikesh a big boulder rolled from mountain and was settled on the edge of road and while avoiding it the incoming bus fell ninety feet below.  Its chassis and body were separated.  On reaching Rishikesh came to know that seven persons died in that accident and it was 5 P.M.  We rushed to the hospital as Rajat and Haridas were to catch that timing to go to the camp.  Examined the list of passengers.  All were pilgrims from Maharashtra.  Manager was one Mr. Joshi and he lost his brother in law.  An old lady of eighty survived without a scratch.  What a destiny!  Met them all. We then met Budhiballabhji and collected our baggage.  He told that Rajat went at five 5 A.M. and the doomed bus left at 8 A.M. It was to go by 5 A.M. but because of late arrival of driver it went by next gate.  Driver and conductor both were killed.   It was raining cats and dogs. By bus both of us reached Haridwar.  Sky was clear.  Radhakantji entered the train bound for Calcutta and I got Delhi bogie. The rush was terrific.  At Laskar I entered sleepers couch. The T.C. was young Sikh named Guru Bhajan Singh. For the first time in life without bribe I got berth. I was surprised.  I had a dialogue with him.  He was General Secretary of Union.  His brothers were Class I officers and he became medically unfit as a pilot in crash landing.  His father was a family physician of great martyr Sardar Bhagat Singh whom they used to call ‘kaka’.  I was agog to see microscopic honesty in the railways.

I reached Delhi on 3rd morning, caught Punjab mail to reach Bhusawal on 4th morning and home at 4 P.M.

About the author



Comments are closed.