JMCI Affidavit II – Netaji’s Aircrash – Why, How & His Escape

Posted By Author on November 5, 2011


I complied with the following second affidavit.


On Stamp Paper





Deponent: Dr. Suresh Chandra Padhye, M.A., Ph. D.

Aged 66 years. R/o Khaparde Garden, Amravati-444601.

Phone 0721-660480


I, Dr.Suresh Chandra S/o Sharad Chandra Padhye, Retired Principal of Arts and Science College, formerly known as King Edward Memorial College (K.E.M.) that is now Vidarbha Mahavidyalaya, Amravati, aged 66 years, resident of Khaparde Garden, Amravati, Tahsil and District, Amravati, do hereby take oath and state on solemn affirmation as under:

1.   That I still maintain and stand by my affidavit of 21st March 2001 as also I stand by the contents of my letter dated 18.10.2001 both of which have already been submitted to the Commission.

That, with due respect I submit that the observation of the Hon’ble Commission in its letter dated 31.1.2001 that my letter dated 18.10.2001 addressed to Hon’ble Commission is at variance with my affidavit dated 23rd March 2001 is not correct. I submit that my said letter is not contradictory to the affidavit. I further submit that both my affidavit and letter contain parts of my research work in nutshell just to bring out to the notice of the Hon’ble Commission, reality and facts about Netaji.

That in reference to the letter of Hon’ble Commission dated 31.1.2001, I hereby submit as under.

(a) Contents of Para (2) of my letter-dated 18.10.01 are true and correct. I had intimate contacts with Netaji from 1965 till his sad demise and proofs thereof are voluminous which I undertake to submit when asked to depose.

(b) That I maintain daily diaries since my childhood and my diaries also contain dictations given by Netaji saying that ‘Subhash’ never died in plane crash and Suresh Chandra Bose who was his elder brother and member of Shah Nawaz Commission should have seen and consulted the docket register of Bangkok Airport. I further submit that my diaries even contain remarks made by Netaji about Suresh Chandra Bose that with age his (Suresh Bose’s) “Matha bhenge gaye chhe”. Subhash Bose was always adroit in passing sarcastic comments and criticism.

I humbly submit that none died in the alleged air crash and my diaries contain remarks made by Netaji to that effect. That my inference of survival of five Japanese Officers, therefore, is based on the dictations given by Netaji to me, and discussions with him and thus firmly fortified with circumstantial evidence. The theory of Netaji having died in plane crash cannot be believed as it does not stand on any necessary and essential evidence as are prerequisite for making the things believable. There are no authentic photographs of the plane crash or of the crashed plane; no photograph of Netaji’s funeral or of the funeral of those Japanese officers allegedly died with Netaji in plane crash. No evidence of Netaji’s hospitalization and there is no record of plane accident or cremation of Netaji, which ought to have been available looking to his crusade of making India free of British Rule, a man honored by Japanese as equal to Prime Minister Tojo. I submit that the Hon’ble Commission may be pleased to refer to ‘Brothers against Raj” by Leonard Gordon in regard to what has been submitted above regarding hospitalization, accident, and cremation record at Taihoku.

(c) That for Habibur Rahman’s statement made by him to his friend that his evidence was false regarding crash. I submit that the Hon’ble Commission may please refer ‘Brothers Against The Raj’ by Leonard Gordon.

(d) That it is submitted that for contradictory statement of Dr. Yoshimi please refer to Annexure-I and for contradictory statements regarding Sally Bomber’s take-of,. Landing, height of the plane, time elapsed between take-off and crash of the plane so also contradictory versions regarding nature of fall, etc., the Hon’ble Commission is requested to please refer to Annexure-II enclosed with this affidavit.

(e) That regarding Netaji’s escape to Canton and Tibet, deductions are based on personal discussions.

(f) That I am in possession of reference regarding General Tasunama Shidei’s existence in Japan after 1945. However, the same has been misplaced and presently not traceable. I am searching it vigorously and will produce the same before Hon’ble Commission, the moment it is found out.

That Shri Dnyaneshwar Deshpande was the publicity officer of INA and he was the son-in-law of the priest of the Renkoji Temple in Japan.  Late Shri Jay Prakash Narayan wrote a letter to Netaji that was carried to Dnyaneshwar Deshpande by Shri Balasaheb Gokhale and reference to all these events and facts is in Marathi book ‘Hansagaan’ (Swan song) that is an autobiography of Shri Madhav alias Balasaheb Gokhale. (It is believed Swan sings only once in life and dies immediately after.)

That this affidavit is accompanied with Annexure I and II


Dated 14 / 03 /2002

Sd/- S.S.Padhye


Verification of affirmation: I, Dr.Suresh Chandra S/o Sharad Chandra Padhye R/o Khaparde Garden, Amravati, the deponent above named do hereby on solemn affirmation state and declare that the contents of Para I to 4 of the above affidavit are true to the best of my knowledge and true to the information I have received from the chronicles, books, and reports published and I believe the same to be true and correct.

Hence sworn and affirmed at Amravati on this the 14th day of March 2002.

Sd/- S.S. Padhye


I know & identify the deponent

Dr.Suresh Chandra Padhye of Amravati.

Sd/- V.V.Keole

(Advocate) Amravati 14.3.02

Stamp of the court   Sd/- Executive Magistrate

Collector Office


Did Netaji Die in Air crash?

I have followed the adage when there is a prominent discrepancy the statement is to be disbelieved.

The researcher must follow the maxim of unbiased approach for reasonable and logical conclusion.

The books referred are selected for first hand information, in addition to Inquiry Reports of Mr. Shah Nawaz Committee Report and Justice Khosla Commission Report would have been much useful. The efforts to procure them were in vain. However I could read Khosla Report.

There are more than two hundred books on Netaji and almost all of them are with the presumption that Netaji died in air-crash. The only exception is the dissention report by Suresh Chandra Bose to Shah Nawaz Committee, being himself a member of the Committee. (G. Pp 605-606)

Circumstances prior to last departure

Netaji was conscious of the following on 12th August 1945 at Saramban, Malaya.

That Allied Forces had conquered Italy. Mussolini and his Mistress were killed and hanged upside down in Florence. (C.R-466)

That on April 30th 1945 Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun got married and committed suicide and Germany officially surrendered on 8th May 19  (W 466,469) All men and material of European Allied Forces was diverted to SE Asian and Eastern theatre.

That the British spearheaded Central Burma on 23rd April 1945 and on 24th April with the girls of Rani Zansi Regiment Netaji had to undergo long march of three hundred miles from Rangoon to Bangkok. That early monsoon disrupted the supply line of INA on the Burmese Front and retreat was inevitable.

That on 12th August 1945 he came to know that Japan was to surrender on 15th Aug. after the havoc of atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki dated 6th and 9th August 1945 respectively. (A-51)

Paul Warfield Tibbits was the pilot of B-29 bomber dubbed as Enola Gay that dropped the 9,000-pound ‘Little Boy’ atom bomb on Hiroshima and 140,000 people died immediately and 80,000 succumbed to radiation afterwards. ’Fat Man’ was dropped on Nagasaki.

Official date of surrender by Japan was 15th Aug. 1945. Netaji augured defeat of Japan with loss of greatest naval battle of Okinawa and conquest of Italy and Germany.

Last decision

Netaji and entourage shifted from Seramban, Malaysia (Malaya), on evening of 12th August. All scattered officers were called in a meeting. For three days, day and night, discussion followed for future action and decision.

Netaji had three choices before him in the grim situation.

1.  To commit suicide like the Nazi echelons. This was ruled out, as he was not a coward.

2.  To surrender to the British with INA at Singapore. All the colleagues disagreed.

3.  Escape.

The Japanese Officers of Hikari Kikan were making frantic efforts to contact Netaji. They rushed Mr. Sarkar to Singapore and on 15th Aug. he had confidential meeting with Netaji and his plan to escape was finalised. (A-59)

It is important to note that a dentist removed Netaji’s aching tooth on 14th. With remote possibility, if a single tooth is found in the so-called urn containing his ashes in Japan, it would conclusively prove that he planned the show of death much earlier.

His decision to escape was final on the night of 15th Aug. He told all that he would go to Manchuria and from there to Moscow. This was his usual practice to let out wrong direction of escape. He asked Col. Habibur Rahman, “Are you going with me?” (A-62)

Netaji and colleagues took off by plane at about 10 A.M. on 16th Aug.1945 from Singapore and landed at Bangkok at 3 P.M.

Two planes were engaged as Japanese liaison officers of Hikari Kikan joined. They took off on 17th August from Bangkok, as the Sun was rising and reached Saigon at 10 A.M.

It is very important to note that two planes were engaged to go to Saigon from Bangkok. The Japanese Officers who accompanied him were General Isoda, the Chief of Liaison Office of Hikari Kikan, Mr. Hachiya, the Japanese Minister designate to the Provisional Government of Azad Hind, and Mr. Nageshi, an associate of Netaji since long as an interpreter. The Indians who accompanied him were Col. Pritam Singh, S.A.Ayer, Col.Habib, Col.Gulzarasingh, Major Abid Hasan Safrani, and Mr. Deb Nath Das. (A-68)

At Saigon

Along with Japanese and Indian Officers Netaji reached Saigon, Indochina (now Ho chi Minh city of Vietnam) at 10 A.M. Mr. Chandramal, Secretary of transport department of IIL, met him there. (A-66)

Hurried consultations were held between Netaji and Japanese Officers and latter were told to fly to Dalat to meet Field Marshal Terauchi and get information regarding transport for further journey. (A-66)

At Saigon Netaji and entourage took rest at the house of Narayandas, Secretary Housing Department of IIL.

At midday when Netaji was taking rest (12.30 P.M.) Mr. Kiano, the Japanese Liaison Officer rushed in frantically and told him,” Their is a plane ready and waiting to take off immediately and there is only one seat.” (A-6) It is important to note that in order to maintain top secrecy of Netaji’s escape, the Japanese avoided all and sundry Indian Officers. Netaji was reluctant to go alone and insisted upon Col. Habibur Rahman’s inclusion. (This must have been done with a motive to keep an Indian witness.) General Isoda, Mr. Hachiya, and a senior staff officer of Field Marshal Terauchi, rushed in and took Netaji into one of the rooms for secret talks. None knew what transpired at the conference. (A-68) Only Habibur Rahman was called in the room and final decision and plan were crystallized. Netaji came out and apprised all colleagues of his adventure into ‘Unknown’. All hurried to the aerodrome. It was all one mad rush. They were told that the engine of plane had been running for an hour. Japanese were getting impatient. Lt. General Shidei was waiting for two hours to join Netaji on the flight. (A-70) The plane took off to an unknown destination at 5 P.M. (A-71, J-271, J-224, G-539)

It is important to note that two heavy suitcases of gold and jewellery of INA treasure were brought in time and sent with Netaji. (G-539, H-10)

It is highly important to note:

(a) From Bangkok two planes came to Saigon and the very planes could have proceeded further without dropping Ayer and others.

(b) Since Japan declared surrender there were many bombers and transport planes grounded at Saigon. There was no dearth of planes or pilots and yet all the Indian officers except Col. Habibur Rahman were systematically avoided. The Sally Bomber in which Netaji, General Shidei, and Rahman went had remaining capacity of six to seven passengers. In sequel it will be seen that the rest of the Japanese occupant in the bomber were not important than minister of the Provisional Government of Azad Hind but were close associates of Netaji.

The logical conclusion is that to guard the secret escape of Netaji, the rest were purposely dropped.

Modus operandi of Netaji for escape

When Netaji escaped from Calcutta on 16th Jan. 1941, he purposely arranged rumours to be floated after his departure that he might have gone to Japan by a steamer or might have gone to the Himalayas or Pondicherry Ashram. There was report that he traveled to Japan or Russia or gone in religious retreat. Another report was that he had left Calcutta for Hong Kong on a boat called Thaisung on 17th January. (G-425) Before departure he told Shardulsingh, Chief of Forward Block, that he was taking Sanyas. It is important to note while escaping to Kabul rumours were spread that he went to the opposite direction.

When Netaji escaped from Germany to Japan by submarine U-180 from Keil on 8th Feb.1943 (G-489), he told Legion members that he was going on the eastern front for a month. Note when he wanted to escape from Germany in westerly direction he floated the rumor that he was heading in the eastern direction.

In the last escape he told all that he was going to Manchuria and from there to Russia. He logically escaped in the opposite direction to secluded Tibet. It should be noted that he knew fully well that the Russians were engulfing Manchuria faster to take revenge and to recover lost territory of 1905 from the beleaguered Japanese against whom Russia declared war on 10th Aug.1945. Moreover Russians being part and parcel of the Allied Forces he knew he would be POW handed over to Britain. The logical conclusion is that he never headed towards already surrendered Japan, or invaded Manchuria or hostile Russia.

Companions in escape

When Netaji left Calcutta for Kabul his man of confidence was Muslim Akbar Shah of Peshawar.

When he escaped from Germany to Japan in the submarine his companion was Abid Hasan, a student of engineering hailing from Hyderabad and who lived in Sabarmati Ashram.

Who should be chosen companion in the last great escape? No doubt, a Muslim-Habibur Rahman. Netaji relied on Muslims for the fact that if they took oath in the name of “Allah” they would never betray.  He was born and brought up in Muslim neighbourhood of Cuttack.

Preparation for escape

Before escape from Calcutta to Kabul Netaji wrote post-dated letters and told his niece Illa and nephew Sisir to post them in future to dodge the Intelligence Department.

When he left Germany for Japan he left post-dated recorded speeches to be broadcasted from Radio Berlin after his departure. This would create impression in the Allied Intelligence that he was in Germany.

In the last escape he systematically created record with correspondence of messages with the Japanese Army H.Q. that he wanted to go to Russia.

He left a post dated letter in Bengali shown as written from Dairen to Deb Nath Das, one of the last persons to see him off at Saigon. When Netaji categorically warned me through Niharendu Dutt Mazumdar who knew me well that I should not depose before Khosla. Niharendu Dutt Mazumdar represented as a lawyer of Bose family before the Khosla Commission. It was at the MLA hostel, Bombay that Niharendu Dutt Mazumdar located me (how?) and specifically told me not to depose before Khosla at Durbar Hall, Bombay. He also promised that I should not bother because he was submitting the said letter written by Netaji to Deb Nath Das from Dairen as a proof that plane-crash and death story was concocted and false.


Please refer the ‘Chart’ that will prima facie deduct that the whole episode of the air crash was false and concocted for the escape of Netaji. Death is always the only way to execute escape of war criminals. Please refer ‘Aftermath’ by Ladislas Farago. This will reveal as to how gold was removed to Argentina well ahead and top brasses of the Nazi regime escaped to Argentina through Vatican by showing death.

After Hitler, Martin Borman was to take charge of Germany and sign surrender. However he escaped. When there was a hue and cry of Martin Borman’s escape, the German Govt. promptly disclosed the discovery of his skull and bones, which were obviously false.

Who were the Japanese Officers in tandem with Netaji?

1. General Tojo: The Prime Minister of Japan, War Minister, and Chief of Army Staff. He was the first and last General to control both politics and military. Netaji’s oratory, clean life, and simple living impressed him. He extended all out support to form Provisional Government of Azad Hind and sanctioned loan. He handed over Indian prisoners of war, gave Japanese staff, arms and supply line. He gave recognition to the Azad Hid Government and handed over liberated Indian territories to Netaji. Because of defeat in Burma he had to resign (B-200). He was hanged in 1948 on the verdict of the eleven members of Kangaroo Court. Out of eleven Nations’ Military Tribunal Justice Dr. Radha Vinod Pal of India was the only member who held Tojo ‘not guilty’. Tojo was moved due to magnanimity of Netaji when he called upon him although he was deposed.

Netaji informed me about Justice Pal’s death after reading the news and gloomily related his role in the Tribunal. (Diary)

2, Field Marshal Terauchi: Japan’s most powerful General was commanding military operation of whole Southeast Asia. He had his H.Q. in Philippine, shifted to Singapore and retreated to Dalat near Saigon. He was related to Royal family.

When Provisional Government of India was declared on 21st October 1943 in Singapore. Prime Minister Tojo was present at the inaugural ceremony and entrusted the responsibility of all out help to INA to General Terauchi. His H.Q. was in British Governor’s House at Singapore. On 25th Oct at 00.55 A.M. Netaji declared war against U.K and U.S.A. (CC-45)

Raja Mahendra Pratap Singh formed the first Provisional Government of independent India in Kabul in 1915.  His Gadar movement spread from Kabul to Singapore. Lala Hardayal devoted his life for it.

Netaji after swearing in ceremony called upon F.M.Terauchi at his bungalow. General Terauchi welcomed Netaji in embrace and was moved to see Netaji’s magnanimity. Since then Terauchi had great affection and infatuation for Netaji and bond remained perpetual. Rasbehari Basu was accompanying Netaji. Bose and Terauchi spoke in German and were homely. (B-177)

Gen. Terauchi’s H.Q. was later shifted to Manila and then to Dalat about 200 miles north of Saigon.

After Gen. Tojo’s resignation Gen. Terauchi was on top list to become Prime Minister of Japan. However Gen. Tojo feared that he would dump him to sure death assignment and hence he upheld secondary name of Koiso, Governor of Korea, under the pretext that Field Marshal Terauchi’s war skill was indispensable in SE Asia. (B-212). It is mentioned that on death bed Netaji dictated a letter to Terauchi. (O-183) It is also emphasized after news of air crash Terauchi never got up from the bed due to shock and died on 20.6.1946. This is imaginary.

Field Marshal Terauchi in spite of his bad health and shock of carpet bombing of Japan by the Americans flew from his H.Q. Dalat to Bangkok when Netaji reached Bangkok after his gallant march from Rangoon (Yangon). His visit was just to thank Netaji.

Terauchi told Netaji as to how former allies defected to the British. Terauchi was overwhelmed by Netaji’s loyalty of friendship with Japan till end. He confessed to Netaji that because of the gallant fight put up at Prom, Maiktil, and Pegu Mountain near Rangoon, more that two Divisions of the Japanese could retreat to safety. He adored, admired, and embraced Netaji and promised him that no power on earth would be able to touch a single hair of his so long as he (Terauchi) was alive. (R-939). Obviously Terauchi executed Netaji’s escape

3.  General Fujiwara: He belonged to psychological war group. He was summoned from Kuala Lumpur to take charge of about eighty thousand Indian POWs surrendered by Gen. Hint after the fall of Singapore.

He formed ‘Hikari Kikan’. The liaison body between India and Japan and became the first Head of it. He got hold of Capt. Mohansingh and under his leadership along with Rasbehari Basu and Gyani Pritam Singh formed the Indian National Army i.e. INA or Azad Hind Fauj on 1st September 1942 basically out of surrendered Indian POWs. Mohansingh had differences with Govt. of Japan. He was removed and jailed. Rasbehari Basu took the reins. When Netaji arrived Rasbehari gladly handed over charge of INA to Subhash Chandra Bose. Gen.Fujiwara (then Major) continued to work with Netaji too. He used to have tactical difference with Netaji.

4. General Yamamato: He was Japanese Attache in Berlin and was in constant touch with Netaji. He arranged Netaji’s escape by submarine to Japan and succeeded Fujiwara as Head of ‘Hikari Kikan’ to extend all help to Netaji.

5. Lt.General.Isoda: He succeeded Yamamato as the Head of ‘Hikari Kikan’. He was simply spellbound to see Netaji’s courage and hardships. He accompanied Netaji during the long march from Rangoon to Bangkok. Gen.Isoda received Netaji at Bangkok on 18th Aug.1945 and was making frantic efforts for his last flight. He was formerly Military Attache of Japan in U.S.A.

6. Lt.General Hachiya: (Hachiya Manetani) He was Minister Designate to the Azad Hind Govt. He was with Netaji since the long march from Rangoon to Bangkok till he saw him off at Saigon. He has also been referred as Ambassador of Japan to Azad Hind Govt.

7. Tadamoto Negishi: Netaji had fullest trust and confidence in him. (CC-27) He was a liaison officer and interpreter throughout Netaji’s stay in SE Asia. He was in India for many years and spoke fluent English. He accompanied Netaji on the last lap of his journey to see him off at Saigon. Netaji told Negishi that he was going to Russia and becoming their prisoner. Then Netaji boarded the Sally Bomber. Negishi remained in Saigon till he dispatched S.A.Ayer to Japan. (G-539)

Who were incumbents of the Plane?

1. Subhash Chandra Bose who needs no introduction.

2. Habibur Rahman: A Muslim from Delhi born in 1901. Habibur who had long experience in Germany was different. He was employed for writing for the German Govt. When Netaji reached Berlin on 3rd April 1941, he formed a working group, India. The German Govt. transferred this Rahman to Netaji for operation in Germany. Since then Rahman, N.G.Swami, Abid Hasan, Nambiar, Ganpule, Mukherjee, Vyas and others worked for Indian Legion and Free India Centre.

Habibur Rahman of Singapore was a POW. He accompanied Netaji and on his behalf called on Jacob Malik, Ambassador of Russia in Tokyo. Rahman was adjutant to Netaji. (Deputy Chief of Staff. (B-221) Gandhiji believed in Netaji’s death only after he heard Rahman’s narration personally. (G-605) Col.Habibur Rahman appeared before Shah Nawaz Committee in 1956 and he ratified death of Netaji. In 1965 Rahman gave interview to Hayashida (B-221) Hayashida spells Rahman as Rehman. He lived in Rawalpindi in Pakistan.

One former associate of Bose in Germany during the war told Prof Gordon in the late 1970 that Habibur Rahman hinted to him that the crash story was concocted. (G-608). Even Laxmi Sahagal (Captain Laxmi) in 1946 stated that Bose escaped to China.

As told by Netaji (Babaji) to me (See diaries) that his house in Cuttack was in a Muslim locality and from childhood he associated with Muslims. Most of the servants at his house were Muslims. He therefore, had faith in Muslims.

3.  Lt.Gen.Tsunamasa Shidei: He was Japanese expert on Soviet Union and spoke Russian well. He was supposed to fly to Dairen, Manchuria to take command of Kwangtung army and work out surrender. (G-539) He was Chief of Burma Command and knew Netaji and worked for him.

He arrived in Saigon from Rangoon and asked Count Terauchi whether he should proceed or not, as the Soviets were in command of most of Manchuria. Field Marshal Terauchi ordered him to accompany Netaji. General Shidei was good at English, French, German, and Russian languages and expert in International Law. He was supposed to arrange flight for Netaji from Dairen to Shinkyo to enable Netaji to surrender to the advancing Russian Army. ((B-222 and H-106)

Thousands of POWs perished on the Siam-Burma railway line. The unforgettable movie, ‘ Bridge on the river Kwai’ is the depiction of this episode. Gen. Shidei was in command of the Japanese army in Burma and with surrender of Japan, like Tojo, noose was a certainty for him. He had no way but to escape by showing death.

4.  Lt.Col.Tadeo Sakai: He was the Staff Officer of the Japanese Army in Burma (G-539) Sakai and Col.Rahman flew from Taipei (Taihoku) to Tokyo carrying so called Netaji’s ashes.  (G-544) Col.Rahman and Major Nakamiya left by plane to Tokyo. The urn containing ashes was entrusted to Lt.Hayashida. He and Sakai travelled by train to Tokyo from Fukuoka city. (CC-120) Corporal Watanabe accompanied them. (G-545, H-120) Nakamiya took part in the Malayan operation and was friend of Rahman. (H-119) It is all a mess. Maj. Nakamiya is not mentioned in the index of H or G. In one version Rahman and Nakamiya carried the urn of ashes and flew from Taipei to Tokyo and in another version Hayashida and Sakai joined them at Taipei, flew over Okinawa, and landed at Fukuoka city. Stayed overnight at Officers Club known as Kaiko –Sha. The party split and Rahaman and Nakamiya flew to Tokyo while Sakai, Hayashida, and corporal Watanabe with urn left by train to Tokyo.

Major Sakai was subordinate officer to Maj. Gen. Fujiwara when latter was Director of ‘F Kikan’ which coordinated with INA. He worked for Netaji since 26th August 1943 in Burma, Malaya, Singapore and was the chief executor of the Great Escape that terminated in installing fake ashes in Renkoji temple. He was the most trusted and nearest Japanese officer of Netaji.

When Sakai was hospitalized, Netaji took stop at Saigon to call upon ailing Sakai at the Army hospital. Sakai was overwhelmed by Netaji’s magnanimity. (H-173) Sakai’s last posting is shown as Staff Officer in-charge of defence of aerodrome of Saigon’ (H-126) He accompanied Netaji on the last flight. Why a person in-charge of ground duty should accompany Netaji? The simple ruse mentioned is that he was on transfer to Japan. (Coincidence?)

Another peculiarity of Sakai is that within two hours of the crash he was on the crash site and joined maintenance officer of Taipei aerodrome Capt.Nakamura alias Yamamoto and Lt.Col.Nonogaki and collected 11 Kg. burnt (?) ornaments. How was he unscratched in the crash? (Capt. Nakamura is different from interpreter Nakamura shown near dying Netaji.) Isamu (Tadeo?) Sakai has written a good article on Netaji in Hayashida’s book. (H-163 to 173)

5. Major Iowa Takahashi: He was the Staff Officer of Saigon’s Third Air Force. He worked with Netaji on India-Burma front and had all praise for his strategies. (H-100, 102) He was an old and close associate of Netaji and why an officer on ground duty should emplane with him? Again the excuse of transfer is quoted.

6.  Major Saburo Takizawa: He was the co-pilot of the plane. On crash he was instantly killed in the cockpit. (H-112) He too is shown on transfer to mainland Japan.

7.  Major Taro Kono: He was the Staff Officer of the Japanese Air Force. (H-109) He is probably wrongly shown as Major Mono in-charge of navigation of the plane (H-146) whereas Sgt.Okita is mentioned as navigator of the plane. (H-145) Kono shows Sgt.Okita as pilot in H-110. Okita’s name is missing amongst incumbent of the plane on H-146. Prof.Gordon mentions ‘Okishta’ as radio operator. (G-539)

The pilot could not control the aircraft. As the ground peered at him faster and faster, he tried to switch off the engine. Maj.Kono seated behind him also tried but failed. See contradiction. Kono says,” I could not get up because of the centrifugal force of the falling plane.“(H-148) How Major Kono is shown sitting third from the pilot (H-146) or last from the pilot (H-110) could try to switch off the engine of falling plane? Major Kono was pilot (G-540) He is also shown as Staff Officer, Japan Air Force. (H-109) He was in Malang in Java where he received an order from the higher authorities on 30th July 1945 transferring him to the Air Force H.Q. in Tokyo. The genral situation was chaotic. He received transfer order issued in May in the month of June. He reached Saigon on 4th August 1945 to go to Japan. He managed accommodation in Ashai Shibun newspaper’s quarter. He awaited transport. On the evening of 18th August (?) Col.Shirakawa from the Southern General Army sent word for him ‘to escort Mr.Chandra Bose to Dairen before going to Tokyo.’ His schedule was to take off on noon of 18th Aug. but the departure was delayed and all were waiting at the airport for some undisclosed reasons. Lt.Gen.Shidei met him at the Air Port. Shidei was superintendent at the war college when Kono was his student. (H-145, 146)

There is another version that Major Kono replaced the defective engine by brand new one of Sally Bomber at Singapore. He flew the plane to Saigon in which Netaji took the last flight.

A minute after the crash the plane completely burnt. (B-228) The entire plane was enveloped in flames. (H-148) Major Kono jumped out of the plane breaking the canopy open. (H-148) Kono released a lock on the canopy, opened it and slid out (G-540) He broke open plastic cover on the top of the plane and escaped through it. (H-113)

Kono’s outer clothes caught fire due to petrol splashed on it. He ran 30 meters and put off the fire by rolling. (H-113) He lost eyesight. (?) (H-194) His hands became misshapen ever since. He mentioned that Major Takizawa, warrant officer Ayogi, and General Shidei died instantly. He witnessed W/o Ayogi and two others died in the hospital (H-112). Col.Rahman states only five survived including him, others being Lt.Col.Nonogaki, pilot Aoyagi, Major Kono, and Lt.Col.Sakai. Aoyagi is not at all shown in sitting arrangement on H-110.

What happened to pilot Ayogi? Did he die in the plane and burnt out? Did he die in the hospital or did he survive. How he deposed before Khosla Commission?

8.   Lt.Col.Shiro Nonogaki: He was an Air Staff Officer. (G-539), Japan Air Force (H109) He was named Captain of the Sally Bomber B-223. He put off Kono’s burning clothes. (G-541 and read for interview of Nonogaki and Kono by Gordon notes No 167,168 0n P 740.August 4th 1979) Nonogaki was thrown in crash and landed unburnt.(H-112) He was seated in the turret. He ran away from the burning plane and took shelter behind a pile of stones. (H-112) His seat shown in the plane is contradictory. (See H-110, 140)

When Sakai reached site of crash within two hours he found Nonogaki collecting articles from the crashed plane (?) (H-126, 127) Nonogaki was admitted to the hospital for 18 months after the crash. (H-113)

9.  Warrant Officer Aoyagi: He was a pilot belonging to third Air Force. (H-109). He was copilot and Takizawa was chief pilot. (G-539) Hayashida mention Aoyagi as chief pilot and Takizawa as associate pilot. Aoyagi was the best surviving pilot in Saigon. (B-223) Japan lacked independent Air Force. Army and Navy had their independent Air forces. Majority of pilots were NCOs. NCO Aoyagi’s appointment as the chief pilot of the bomber instead of high-ranking Major Takizawa was due to more experience. (B-223) Aoyagi’s mystery is already referred to. He is shown dead and he deposed before Khosla.

10. Captain Kikichi Arai: He was an Air force engineer (G-539) He is not mentioned in B or in index of H. Capt.Arai, Lt.Col.Sakai, Major Takizawa, and Col.Rahman became senseless the moment plane crashed but (miraculously?) regained consciousness. Remember within one minute the whole plane was on fire. Yet all of them regained consciousness in time to get out of the burning plane. They all sustained, minor bruises and burns.

11. Sgt. Okita or Okishta: The controversy about him already referred.

12. Tominga. Radio Operator

13. Unknown gunner: needs no description. When guns were removed at Tourane what for he was in the plane?

However, it must be mentioned that gunner was missing and Okita’s spine was broken and he was hospitalized. He was repatriated in the autumn of 1947 (H-114) or in the fall of 1947? (H-114, 111)

Owing to over loading and heavy weight the pilots and engineers decided to mitigate weight of the plane at Tourane. The load limit was 1500 Kg. The passengers weighed 980 Kg. (H-147) Therefore 12 machineguns and 2000 rounds of bullets were removed from the Bomber. It was done even though that rendered the passengers defenseless against enemy planes that would have encountered on the way. (H147) The plane was lighter by 600 Kg. (G-540, H-108), 500 Kg. (H-147), and crew dismantled six (?) machineguns and all ammunition reducing load by 600 Kg. (B-225). Considering the above description and discrepancies it is obvious that there was no need of gunner. Because of the gunner the confusion about the number of occupants of the bomber varies. The number should tally with the total of deceased in plane, deceased in hospital, and survivors. It does not tally.

(A) H-112 and H-115: Gen. Shidei, Takizawa were killed instantly in the plane. Aoyagi and two others died in the hospital. Probably two others were radio operator Tominga and unknown gunner. Including Netaji six persons perished. Survivors were Rehaman, Nonogaki, Sakai, Takahashi, Arai, Okita, and Kono. Total comes to seven survivors. Total passengers come to thirteen. Rahman states five survivors.

(B) H-145: Rahman’s version that five survived- Rahman, Nonogaki, Aoyagi, Kono, and Sakai. If the passengers were thirteen, it means eight persons died.

(C) B-228: Rahman, Nonogaki, Kono and five others survived. Total 8. Netaji, Shidei, two pilots, and two other of crew died. Therefore 8 were alive + 6 dead. It means passengers were 14.

(D) G-539: Total occupants 12. Skillfully avoids mention of total dead or survived.

Points to Ponder

1.             It is wrong presumption that with difficulty Netaji was offered one seat and on persuasion another one for Rahman.

2.             The plane’s engine was running for one hour and General Shidei was impatiently waiting for Netaji to arrive. There is no eyewitness to vouchsafe as to who were sitting inside the plane.

3.             Field Marshal Terauchi rushed his officers to Bangkok to receive Netaji. He had great infatuation for Netaji and right from the beginning he rendered all possible help to INA. With the news of atomic explosions and consequent surrender of Japan, Terauchi was in great haste to see safety and escape of Netaji.

4.             It was Field Marshal Terauchi who availed a special plane for Netaji at Saigon and systematically dropped all Indian officers.

Col, Rahman as a trusted adjutant of Netaji was accepted as a lone Indian officer to vouchsafe the so-called crash.

5.             Amongst the incumbent of the plane Netaji’s old Japanese associate officers like Gen.Shidei, Lt.Col. Sakai, Lt.Col. Takahashi were chosen as most trusted officers to execute the plan.

6.             Amongst the occupants of the plane five are shown under flimsy excuse of transfer. Were they more important than the Indian officers left behind? Yes. It was for guarding the utmost secrecy of escape. To make believe the crash only trustworthy Rahman was taken.

Indian witness was indispensable. To maintain top secrecy Terauchi refused to divulge the destination of the plane. The destination Manchuria in various records was purposely manipulated.

Four incumbents are pilots. Arai is taken as an engineer to show technical faults of load and engine of the plane. Navigator and Radio Operator were indispensable passengers of the flight. Gunner’s presence is doubtful. Thus it becomes obvious that all the passengers of the plane were a selected band of trusted Japanese officers to guard and execute the top secret.

7.             Major Kono’s hands were infirmed and Okita’s spine was broken with a 40 Cm. long cut on the back. The earlier Inquiries should have ascertained as to how, when and where they got these injuries.

(A) Whether Kono was already injured in Java? Inquiry at Saigon and Java would have revealed that already injured persons were well planned to prove the crash.

(B) The Inquiry commission should have confirmed whether Okita was already hospitalized due to spine injury in Taipei hospital before the crash. The injury was so severe that he remained at Taipei for two years after the crash.

(C) Out of two full suitcases containing gold ornaments, Sakai handed over only 11 Kg. Charred ornaments. When the plane completely burnt out the ornaments would not have been charred but became a lump of gold due to melting. Was it ever verified? Netaji’s habit of taking loan and refunding it promptly is well known. He took loan from Germany and refunded it in yens. He took loan of about 100 million yens from Japan. Out of this 90 million yens were unused. (B-216)

It is but natural that INA treasure was handed over to Terauchi as a refund of the loan plus extra amount for future and insignificant amount was shown as charred ornaments.

Nehru’s role in crash episode

1.              Right from Gandhiji, Sarat Bose, Mrs. Emilie Bose. S.A.Ayer, Gen. Chatterjee (Hanoi), Shah Nawaz Khan to stalwarts of the Indian politics refused to accept the story of plane-crash and subsequent death of Netaji. (I) It was only on testimony of Rahman that Gandhiji reluctantly accepted Netaji’s death. Suresh Chandra Bose, the elder brother gave a note of dissent in Shah Nawaz inquiry committee and refused to believe crash story. Lord Mountbatten cautioned Jawaharlal Nehru to be careful about Netaji’s survival and augured Nehru’s political death-knell if he came.  Casey, Governor of Bengal, warned the Central Government that he was suspicious about Netaji’s death. (G-546) Wavell, Governor General suggested most careful inquiry in Netaji’s death. ((G-742)  He wrote in his diary,     “ If Subhash Bose had planned to go underground, the crash story is  just the kind of the story that would be put out.”  The secret files of Indian Home Ministry of the British regime were released only after Nehru’s death. (News of Times of India.) Nehru died with firm conviction that Subhash was alive. (Related by Netaji to me. Diary) Nehru gave largesse of ministry to Shanawaz Khan and to silence public outcry Nehru appointed Inquiry Committee under Khan’s chairmanship in 1956. Majority of three member committee gave verdict that Subhash Bose died in air crash on 18th August 1945 at Taipei (Taihoku) Taiwan (Formosa) Nehru put this report before the Parliament and got it approved. Nehru through Dr.B.C.Roy, Chief Minister of Bengal, pressurized Suresh Bose to give assent to Netaji’s death. The attempt proved futile. (G- (605). See Appendix D, extracts of diary for truth about Shahanawaz Khan.

Nehru and Subhash had mutual love and hate relationship.  Nehru always stayed with Sarat Bose when in Calcutta. He attended Gita’s marriage. He personally handed over Netaji’s wristwatch and spectacles after so called death of Netaji. In Japan Netajis favourite cigarette case (Given by Hitler?) and reading glasses were missing. (A-273) In the intense heat of the burning plane the Bakelite frame of the spectacles should have melted. Nehru received Netaji’s glasses. From where and how it came?  Obviously it was Habibur Rahman who carried these as evidence as per Netaji’s plan. After warning from Mountbatten it was probably at the instance of Nehru a Government Resolution was passed to remove portraits of Netaji from all offices of the Government. (Date and G.R.No. from Organiser of 7th Nov.1977 shall be furnished during deposition.) Nehru went to the extent of declaring in a Public meeting in Assam in 1943 that he would personally go to the front and fight with Bose and the Japanese if they invaded India. (G-552) In another reference it is mentioned. “ Soon after departure of Cripps, Jawaharlal Nehru said  to the press in Gauhati on April 24: Hitler and Japan must go to hell   I shall fight them to the end and this is my policy. I shall also fight Subhash Bose and his party along with Japan if he comes to India.”  Had Nehru revealed the truth about survival of Subhash Bose and his escape, he knew fully well that it would have been an invitation to his own political suicide. He was conscious of Gandhiji’s defeat at the hands of Subhash at Tripuri.

Col. Habibur Rahman

Rahman was most trusted aide of Netaji. He remained loyal and executed the great escape as per Netaji’s wish. However many flaws remained in his tutored and concocted deposition.

1.        Plane crashed after ten minutes from take-off at Taipei. Rahman to Hayashida. (H-143). Rahman said height of the plane was 500 feet from the ground. Rahman to Ayer: plane crashed after a minute or two after takeoff. Height was 200 to 300 feet (A-112).

2.        His version of Netaji’s dialogue in the most serious condition both at the aerodrome and in hospital is too dramatic. Moreover version differs.

3.        Abid Hasan found that hands of Rahman had shallow injuries. (A-273)

4.        The uniform Rahman wore in plane crash remained unscratched in spite of his ordeal with burning plane and dousing burning Netaji. Rahman put the same uniform at the Red Fort trial. This reasoning of Sahgal is absolutely right. (See A-273)

5.        Rahman confessed that his story of crash was concocted. (G-608)

6.        Under the date 24/4/1966 the following excerpt from my daily diary is self-explanatory.

“While reaching Rudraprayag (Himalaya) we had a brief halt at Agastimuni on Kedarnath road. One Alamsingh happened to meet us. He was Company Commander in Netaji’s INA and at that time serving as a Block Organiser. He worked in Germany and became POW. He was tried at Red Fort trial. He was of firm conviction that Netaji did not die in air crash. At the time of trial he wanted to talk about Netaji’s survival but Habibur Rahman made sign by enlarging his eyes and made him quiet. He told that in Meerut Congress Session he put question directly to Nehru and Gandhiji and installed the first entrance gate in the name of Netaji. He placed Netaji’s portrait above the gate and purposely kept the height of the gate only four feet high to compel everyone to bow down before the portrait at the entry. Baba, “ Proper Govt. inquiry alone will reveal Netaji’s death. He never died in accident.” (Diary dated 8/6/1966) Other references from diary in brief: Baba. Said,  “Without co-operation of Govt. of Taiwan and Japan, truth about the death of Subhash Bose would never come out.”

“ The bomber in which Subhash flew from Saigon reached Bangkok on 19th August 1945.” On questioning as to why Suresh Bose did not visit Taiwan or Bangkok, Baba replied, “ Onar matha bhenge gaye che.” (His head cracked due to age). The Govt. of India refused permission to Shah Nawaz Committee to go to Taiwan for investigation giving reason that diplomatic relation with that Govt. were severed due to recognition of Peoples’ China,

The short time limit of JMCI does not permit me to go through more than 100 pages at this Juncture.

7.        A news item reported that the classified documents of INA trial were declassified. It shows that Rahman neither saw the dead body of Bose nor did he attend cremation.

Did Netaji  escape to Russia?

1.                     Netaji was a man of self-respect and very particular about manners and protocol. Once he refused to see Minister Hachiya as he did not bring credentials from Japan Govt. Netaji was bent upon freedom of India and for that, against will, he was prepared to take help from fascists or communists. For that he was even prepared to take help from the ‘Devil’.

2.                     While in Europe he visited almost all the European countries and expressed his desire to visit Moscow. However, Stalin gave a cold shoulder.

3.                     While in Kabul he and Bhagatram Talwar with Uttamchand Malhotra tried their best to contact the Russian ambassador. Again he received a cold shoulder. There was Russo-German no war pact and hence due to efforts of German and Italian consulates of Kabul he could travel to Berlin via Moscow on Italian passport.

4.                     Netaji asked Anand Sahay to try to contact Jacob Malik, the Russian ambassador in Tokyo when his own efforts failed. (G-518)

5.                     On 1st Nov.1944 in his last visit to Tokyo accompanied with Kiani, Chaterjee, and Habibur Rahman, he took long time to draft a letter to Soviet ambassador Jacob Malik and sent it with Rahman to the Soviet embassy. After waiting for three hours the letter was returned to Rahman unopened and Malik refused to see Bose. (See-518, B-215 & 216)

6.                     Through Japanese army and navy officers Netaji tried to meet Soviet ambassador. However they expressed their inability and directed him to foreign ministry. He met foreign minister Shigemitsu and made the same request but he sulked and said nothing. (B-215)

7.                     Japanese Rear Admiral Nakado, a naval attaché, suggested Netaji to go to Russia along with him and keep struggle of freedom going on. Nakado (referred as Kan-ei-chudo in B-213) contacted the Japanese Supreme H.Q. for the same but the Japanese Government turned thumbs down on it. (H-95)

8.                     Col.Yamamoto, old associate from Berlin to Hikari Kikan, also suggested the same but his efforts proved futile. (H-95, B-213, 214, G-538)

9.                     At the end of 1945 Nambiar, in charge of Indian POWs in Germany, had been encouraged by Bose to enquire if the Russians would accept Indian political refugees from Europe. (O-167) There was no response.

10.                  The Japanese note denotes Netaji’s resolve to avoid Russia. From all out efforts Netaji could not succeed to see the Russian ambassador Jacob Malik, Tokyo. His letter was ignominiously returned. ‘Though the matter ended there it had a meaning in the context of his past intentions and his action from then onward.’ (G-518)

11.                  The Russians did not want to antagonize the allied partners by offering shelter to Bose. On the contrary the Russians grabbed the opportunity to take revenge of defeat of 1905 Russo-Japan war when they lost Manchuria. By 10th August 1945 after declaration of war against Japan (G-537), the Russian army was advancing like a rollercoaster and occupied most of Manchuria by 18th August 1945. As per Kono’s version when the plane was over Heito, Radio Operator informed about the fall of Port Arthur at 11.A.M. then how could Netaji proceed to Manchuria? As decided in Malta meet Stalin annexed the strategic northern islands of Japan.  (B-216). Even today the dispute about northernmost islands continues between Japan and Russia as these islands command the strategic Bering Strait and is the nearest point between Russia and North America. Tsar sold out Alaska to U.S.A .in 1912 and Russians were bent upon to mend their mistake and occupy strategic areas.

12.                  Japan did not want Bose to go to Russia because the Japanese were seductively reaching Russia. (O-16), to negotiate peace with the Allied Army and save the Empire. It was first defeat for Japan in 2600 year. (H-110)

Long and short of it is that Netaji was neither heading for Taipei nor Manchuria.  He never wanted to be prisoner of Russians as Head of the Provisional Government. It was in Netaji’s blood to gamble with death. He risked life during escape from India, and Germany. Mr. Ayer and Shah Nawaz Khan have described how Netaji missed death by whisker many a time in Burma. Undaunted he would stand on rostrum when strafing and bombarding was on. The Japanese were astounded to see his courage. So statistically it is impossible coincidence that he should die at the crucial moment of Japan’s surrender. It must be remembered that there is not a single example in Pacific war when plane crashed due to fall of engine.

13.                  It is very important to bear in mid after surrender of Japan some of the top ranking military officers went in hiding or committed suicide. (H-110). General Ando, Governor of Taiwan performed Hara Kari. Parallel was the case of vanquished Germany.

Destination after Saigon ?

Netaji’s aspiration from childhood was renunciation, meditation, spiritual attainment, and yearning for the Himalayas. At the time of last parting he told all that he was going in quest of the ‘Unknown”. From Darjeeling he wrote to his closest friend, probably Hemant Sarkar:

“… There is nothing more satisfying than the life of a wandering pilgrim. I feel like crossing the mountains to Sikkim and Nepal. There is a road to Tibet also…” (G-31)

Was this not the proper time to fulfill his cherished dream? What are the possibilities of likely destination?

Circumstances reveal that Netaji’s destination was not Russia but Tibet. I know his life from Tibet onwards. Now from where he could have gone to Tibet avoiding the onslaught of advancing Allied Forces?

1.        Chandramal, Secretary of Transport of India Independence League (IIL) met Netaji at Saigon. He might have arranged Netaji’s transport from Tourane to Tibet.

2.        Netaji was in constant touch with Vietnam and Shanghai. (G-537) However possibility of Shanghai is remote as there were many Indians willing to join INA who would have thwarted the secrecy.

3.        Wen-Weig-El or Oseiel or Wang Ching Wei, referred under different names in different books was the President of the Nankig Government. (B-191, 216) He was formerly Prime Minister of Chiang Kai Shek but rebelled. He gave a red carpet welcome to Netaji at Nanking on 17th Nov. 1943 where General Hata, Chief of Japanese Army in China, was present to receive Netaji.     (H 74, 75, 98)

General Hata expressed his desire to visit Delhi to Netaji. They developed close friendship. Just before surrender of Japan Wang/ Oseiei died in Japan while taking treatment and Netaji was shocked to know it. Therefore destination Nanking is precluded. Guru Nanak Deo visited Nankig afoot and hence the city is named in his memory as Nanking.

4.        Since the whole plan of escape was hatched by Field Marshal Terauchi and his assistants of the Southern Command, and officers of Kikan, it seems beyond doubt that Netaji was taken to Canton

That was Head Quarter of Gen.Hata. The Americans occupied the Pacific theatre and hence the land route from Saigon to Canton was safest. Even S.A.Ayer was taken to Japan via Canton. Gen.Hata must have arranged Netaji’s transport to Tibet. There was no airstrip in Tibet. Netaji, therefore, reached Tibet in five days. When he was in safe heaven, the crash story was declared after five days later. The crash is of 18th Aug.1945 and news of his death was let out o 23rd Aug. 1945 when Ayer reached Tokyo. The inquiry with the present Chinese Government or Japan will throw light on the then existing feasible route to Tibet.

He could not go to Burma, Singapore or Thailand as the British forces were advancing fast.

Whenever I asked him about the gap between Saigon and Tibet

He would say, “ Where is the hurry? You would be the first to know it.”

Tibet was the only safest and secluded place adjoining India.

Are Netaji’s ashes in Renkoji Temple?

Late Madhav Shripad Gokhale of my town Amravati wrote a book in vernacular Marathi titled Hansa gaan (U) i.e. Swan Song. It is believed that swan sings only once in life and dies thereafter. The preface to the book is given by famous freedom fighter and Netaji’s co-worker late Shri Achyut Patwardhan. Motilal Nehru picked him as member of the CWC when he was just twenty-six year old.

In brief I introduce Shri Gokhale. He went underground in 1942 and worked with Jayaprakash Narayan, Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia, Aruna Asafali, Sheikh Abdulla, Khan Abdul Gafar Khan, Vallabhbhai Patel, Nehru, Acharya Narendra Deo, Sane Guruji, Madhu Limaye, Sucheta Kripalani, Nath Pai and other top ranking freedom fighters.

He was incarcerated with J.P. and Lohia in Lal Killa of Lahore. He was tortured and released. Gandhiji wrote a letter to him and arranged Bhulabai Desai and K.M. Munshi to defend him in the court.

After independence Nehru sent him to various countries to attend International Socialist conferences and meetings of Asian Socialist Bureau. Many countries invited him and he met Winston Churchill, Attlee. Ben Gureva, Marshal Tito, U Nu, U Thant, Sukarno, Bandarnayake and many heads of countries. He had been to Burma, Indonesia, Cambodia, Ceylon, Japan, Italy, Yugoslavia, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Lapland, Netherlands, Denmark, Israel, England, and Ireland etc. He met heads of states like U Nu, U Thant, Ba Maw, Bandarnayake, and Marshal Tito. He met Clark Gable in Hong Kong. Thespian Vasant Joglekar of Amravati was his wife’s cousin and met Ashok Kumar, Nargis. He was guest of Indian ambassador Mohammad  Baug and his Bengali wife Tara in Indonesia. (Cricketer Abbas  Baug was his nephew.) He was Governor of Maharashtra. When working in Burma his neighbour was Mrs. Dau Khin Chi, wife of General Aung Sang. She was Burma’s ambassador to Delhi in 1966. Her daughter Suu Chi was playmate of Gokhale’s son. Now she is in house arrest for democratic movement of Myanmar. She won election of Burma and received Nobel Prize for peace. She is now known, as Aung San Suu Kyi. Dr. Ambedkar and Gokhale lived together at Dinanth’s house in Rangoon. He was the guest of Olfe Palme, Prime Minister of Sweden who was murdered in conspiracy by sycophant Botha of South Africa. PII flashed this news from Durban on 24/1/2003. (Peter Willem Botha died in Nov.1906 at age of 90 in his home at George in Cape Province.)  Palme was grandson of Rajani Palme Dutta, a known communist living in exile abroad. His wife was Irish. His interview of Subhash Bose in London is well known. (Rajani: G-288, 316, 347, 354, 425, 431) Olfe was Gokhale’s neighbour in Delhi. When Olfe came to India for Bofors deal he specially met Madhav Gokhale.

When Gokhale served as demonstrator of chemistry at Science College Nagpur, he was warden of hostel. Nathuram Godse and Apte approached him for permission to collect funds from students. He refused the permission.

He carried J.P.’s letter to handover to Netaji and reached upto Imphal but due to intense pressure of intelligence he destroyed it and returned safely. (U-40, 41) On page 130 of Hansa gaan (U) he mentions that he had been to Japan. Amravati’s Dnyaneshwar Deshpande was sent to Japan to learn Jujutsu. Shri Shivajirao Patwardhan of Amravati was a leading freedom fighter. He was jailed in Seoni with Netaji. Shivajirao sheltered Rajguru for a month. He was hanged along with Sukhdeo and Bhagatsingh. Rajgopalachari and Rajendra Prasad stayed in Patwardhan’s house at Amravati in 1923. Later he became leader of Forward Block. Rabindranath Tagore hired a Japanese instructor of Jujutsu to teach self-defence to student of Shantiniketan. Shri Patwardhan could not afford to hire such an instructor. So he sent Dnyaneshwar to learn this art. Gokhale called upon widow of Dnyaneshwar Deshpande in 1953. She was running a big hotel with her two sons in Tokyo. Her father was the priest of Renkoji temple and by religion he was ‘Shinto’. She and Dnyaneshwar fell in love while attending Jujutsu classes and got married. Dnyaneshwar was personal secretary of Rasbehari Basu. He was IIL representative to Burma and lived in Rangoon. It was his bungalow that was occupied for Netaji and his H.Q. He was announcer at Azad Hind Radio at Singapore and later was sent as Director of Publicity of INA to Tokyo. He used to be in constant touch with Japanese Army H.Q. to report daily situation of INA in war. It was through him that the Japanese Army arranged to install so-called Netaji’s fake ashes in his father in law’s Renkoji temple. No Government of India dared to bring these ashes, as they were doubtful. In due course I shall tell the story of as to how I lost ashes and bones of Netaji that I preserved in my premises for fourteen years.

Dr. Suresh Deshpande has written a book in Marathi about participation of HVPM in freedom fight. (1995). Hariharrao Deshpande, father of Suresh Deshpande has given details about Dnyaneshwar Deshpande in his article published in Maratha daily of 15th August 1962. Mr. Dharmavir in his book ‘Eye through the bomb’ has given some information about Dnyaneshwar.

In 1928 Hariharrao took Dnyaneshwar to Gorakhpur as an instructor of wrestling for HVPM camp. Rajguru came there and both went to Punjab to meet Bhagat Singh. It is mentioned that Dnyaneshwar on his way to meet Netaji left Japan by submarine. The enemy destroyed this submarine and Dnyaneshwar became martyr. Hariharrao mentions that Dnyaneshwar was on board a Red-Cross ship and it was torpedoed and sank. How and when Dnyaneshwar died can alone be confirmed either through his son or Government of Japan.


The Hanuman Vyayam Prasarak Mandal of Amravati needs a special mention. Ambadas Pant Vaidya (demise in 1980) and his elder brother Baburao established HVPM in 1914 with twelve young friends. The aim was to inculcate Indian exercise, drill, gymnastic and games amongst youth irrespective of caste, creed or religion and spread its knowledge all over India and abroad. Its emblem is ‘Balam Upaswa’ meaning worship strength. The institution progressed under the Presidentship of Dr. Shivajirao Patwardhan who was interned as a Forward Block leader in Seoni jail along with Subhash Chandra Bose. Pant looked after daily work and he was a strict disciplinarian and architect of execution. He also developed a band squad. Before long, HVPM gained name and fame all over India and even abroad. The institution produced political stalwarts, freedom fighters, and revolutionaries. My great grand father was one of the benefactors of the institution. Ambadas Pant had close association with Chaphekar brothers of Pune who shot down Rand and Iyharst on 22/6/1897 for their gruesome atrocities on citizens during plague epidemic of 1996 in Pune. Damodar and Balkrishna Chaphekar went underground and out of many places stayed at Amravati. Ganesh and Ramchandra Dravid brothers became informant of the police and due to their treachery Damodar and Balkrishna were arrested on 30/11/1807. Youngest brother Wasudeo and colleague Ranade took revenge and shot down Dravid brothers. Father Hari Vinayak Chaphekar was ‘Kirtankar’ by profession. He had three sons and two daughters. His sons would assist him in his profession. Eldest Damodar was born on 25/6/1869 and hanged on 18/4/1898. Second son Balkrishna was born in 1873 and hanged on 18/5/1899 and youngest Wasudeo was born in 1879 and along with colleague Ranade was hanged on 6/5/1899. My great grand father Dadasaheb Khaparde financed and looked after Chaphekar family of devastated father Haribhau Chaphekar suffering from loss of three young sons. When in Amravati neighbours derided Damodar in tonsured head with long ‘choti’ He immediately performed one thousand sit-ups at a stretch then and there and unphased the mockers.

Shivaram Hari Rajguru took physical training at HVPM in 1927 and became a crack shot in shooting. He then went to Banaras to learn Sanskrit where under the influence of Babarao Sawarkar, elder brother of great revolution V.D.Sawarkar, joined hands with Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad. Scott and Sanders wounded Lala Lajpat Rai in baton charge in Lahore during procession of protest against Simon Commission. It was on the day of visit of Simon on 30/10/1828. Consequently Lala Lajpat Rai died on 17/11/1928 being born in 1865. Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, Chandrashekhar Azad conspired to take revenge and Rajguru shot Sanders though Scott escaped. It was known as Lahore Conspiracy case. All revolutionaries escaped. Rajguru was brought from Delhi by my uncle to our home then shifted to Dnyaneshwar Deshpande when underground.

Sadanand Sheode has written a detailed book on Rajguru in Marathi. He has given graphic description of his life. Rajguru lived in Amravati for a year and half and went to Banaras. There he came across Sawargaokar of neighbouring Yeotamal district of Amravati. Together they became disciples of Chandrashekhar Azad. (Name Azad given to Tiwari by Sriprakash.) Azad named Rajguru as M for Maratha and this code name remained popular amongst colleagues and Government records. Sawargaokar on directive of Azad shot sub inspector Jitendranath Banerjee who abominably tortured revolutionaries. Rajguru shot Hasan Nizami, a diehard Muslim engaged in forcible conversion of Hindus to Islam in Delhi but by mistake Hasan’s father in law was killed. Then he tried to kill Viceroy of India by hurling a bomb on his car but unfortunately only ladies were in the car and hence the plan fizzled out. He escaped to Pune via Amravati. There he planned to kill Governor Saix of Bombay. Sharad Keskar was a nephew of former Central Minister of Information and Broadcasting Mr. B.V. Keskar of Chalisgaon of Khandesh in Maharashtra. He was paid informant of C.I.D. He befriended Rajguru with promise to manufacture revolvers at Wai. He treacherously got him and Sawargaokar imprisoned. Rajguru was shifted to Lahore prison with other revolutionaries. In jail he suffered from pneumonia. Untold atrocities and torture was committed on him. Lieutenant of Subhash Chandra Bose, Jatin Das went on fast unto death and died in prison as a protest against atrocities. Netaji arranged his memorable funeral in Calcutta. Rajguru, Sukhdeo and Bhagat Singh were hanged at 7.33 A.M. on 23rd March 1931 a day before the official announcement due to fear of reprisal. (Similar was the case of date of funeral of Netaji) A huge crowd assembled before the gate of prison to receive dead bodies but fearing reprisal the authorities put the dead bodies in gunny bags, dug a whole to rear wall and clandestinely burnt them at night on the bank of the river Sutlej. Martyrdom of the trio galvanized unparallel patriotism through out the length and breadth of the country. Netaji wanted Gandhiji to save the trio from hanging. Gandhiji refused. At Karachi Congress Gandhiji refused to put resolution to commend sacrifice of Bhagat Singh as it was an act of violence. However Netaji lauded martyrs before All India Bharat Naujawan Sabha. Nehru also commended their brave act. His wife Kamla Nehru arranged funeral of Chandrashekhar Azad, A photograph of Rajguru amongst a group of about hundred students is in HVPM but it is not possible to recognise him.

After one year’s rigourous imprisonment Sawargaokar was released in September1930. He continued his revolutionary activity. In 1967 he was given freedom fighters’ pension and he died in his village Dehani in Yeotmal district on 19th November 1987. He was born in 1900. Traitor Sharad Keskar committed theft at his sister and was jailed. Later he committed suicide at Junnar.

Udhao Shastri of HVPM worked for Forward Block and along with Mukund Sarkar (who was with Netaji in Madras jail) and Sheel Bhadra Yagee were interned in 1943. HVPM squad attended in 1936 the eleventh Olympic in Germany. Udhao, Asnare, Dr. Kane, Vyankatrao Dubey and many others were there. Adolf Hitler praised their demonstration, route march through Berlin and playing national anthem ‘Vande Mataram’ on band that was interestingly unique novelty to participating nations. The saffron flag was unfurled as national flag.

HVPM sent Dnyaneshwar Deshpande to Japan. Raja of Ichhalkaranji financed his expenses. The details about him are already mentioned. Hariharrao Deshpande was pivot of HVPM. The only intriguing part is that his son Dr. Suresh Deshpande, retired principal of HVPM, in his book about participation of HVPM in freedom struggle has referred his father’s article on Dnyaneshwar published in daily Maratha of Bombay dated 15th August 1962 and Dharmavir’s book ‘Eye through the bomb” that gives further information about Dnyaneshwar. It is mentioned that Dnyaneshwar Deshpande was on way to meet Netaji. He was travelling by submarine and the enemy destroyed it. Dnyaneshwar became martyr. This must be ascertained from the Government of Japan because fake ashes of Netaji are installed in his father in law’s Renkoji temple of Tokyo.   HVPM was invited to look after volunteers’ force at All India Congress sessions of Calcutta (1928), Lahore (1929), Golden Jubilee Bombay (1935), Faizpur (1936), Tripuri (1939), Jaipur (1948), Nagpur (1952), Indore (1957). One can realize the degree of eminence of HVPM from visits of the following luminaries of India:

Dr.Sir Prafulla Chandra Roy on 9/10/1025, Motilal Nehru on 12/11/1925, Bar.Jayakar on 12/12/1925, N.C.Kelkar on 11/2/1926, Mahatma Gandhi on 21/12/1926, Lala Lajpat Rai on 2/4/1926, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on 6/10/1928. My mother’s uncle received him at railways station and he stayed as guest of my great grand pa. He also delivered public lecture at my college. Madan Mohan Malviya 23/4/1929, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose 1/12/1929, Shriniwas Shastri 7/3/1935, Dr. Rajendra Prasad and Acharya Kripalani 30/4/1935, Raghavendra Rao 21/6/1936, Dr. N.B. Khare and Bapuji Aney 28/3/1937, Ravi Shankar Shukla 14/10/1937, Sarat Chandra Bose for inaugural of All India Physical Conference held on 13/10/1946 at my college. HVPM demonstrated physical exercises and drills in many cities of India and dignitaries like Vallabhbhai Patel, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaikwad, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Malviya, Ghanashyamdas Birla, Sarojini Naidu, Govind Vallabh Pant, Sheikh Abdulla, Mavalankar, Acharya Narendra Deo, Lal Bahadur Shastri, General Chaudhari, R.R.Diwakar presided over the functions. Jawaharlal Nehru, Seth Govindas, Kamraj, Indira Gandhi also witnessed and praised activity of HVPM.

Today the HVPM is premier institution of India imparting diploma, degree, and post graduation degree in Physical training. From one acre now it is sprawling over about hundred acres with hostel and mess for nine hundred boys and three hundred girls. Remaining students have to seek rented accommodation in Amravati city. Thousands of students passed from here and are Physical Training Instructors in schools and colleges throughout the nook and corner of India. The institute has added swimming pool of international standard, schools, Schools in tribal belt, Engineering College, Ayurvedic College, orphanage for dumb, deaf, and orphans, help line for people, girls, and suicide prone peasants, Yoga classes etc. Shri Prabhakar Vaidya son of founder Ambadas Pant is looking after the institution. The institution has progressed in leaps and bounds under his aegis and his band of dedicated workers. It is the landmark of the nation. If anybody deserves Padma Bhushan it is Prabhakar Vaidya provided he has some politician Godfather. Nirmalatai Deshpande was daughter of P.Y. Deshpande of Amravati. She was a well known Gandhian and M.P. She was president of the institution for many years. She along with vice-president R.S. Gawai Governor of Bihar and now of Kerala brought lot of funds from the Central and State Government for HVPM, Nirmalatai perished in May 2008. She was one of the proposed Presidential candidates of India. Presently Advocate Krishnarao Deshpande, senior advocate of Nagpur and eldest son of Hariharrao is executive president of HVPM since last so many years.

When I was a student I was regularly taking exercise in HVPM for a decade. Boys would gather to watch me on parallel bars and appreciate my full-arm balance march.

Bharatiya Vichar Sadhana Pune, Motibaug, 309, Sadashiv Peth, Pune-411030 has published small booklets worth Rs.8 giving life in brief of great men and women of India including kings, saints, politicians, scientists, revolutionaries, etc in Hindi, Marathi and English. It should be a must for young generation especially Indian diasporas.


In order to accommodate the Chart in book form, its construction is changed from horizontal to vertical form here. Contents are same. Code words of references are given.

The books chosen for reference are A, B, G, M, J, and T.

1. Saigon Take-off

5.15 P.M. 17th Aug. 1945. (A-72)

5. P.M.   18th Aug. 1945. (B-225)

5 to 5.30 P.M. 18th Aug. 1945. (G-539)

5.30 P.M., Kono’s version. {H-110)

4. P.M., Rahman’s version.  (H-145)

5.15 P.M. (J-271).

5.15 P.M. (O-180).

2. Acquisition of plane.

It was a twin-engine heavy bomber. It was 92-2 Sally type. See Chart Appendix-A.

The Sally bomber in which Netaji left Saigon belonged to Third Air Force of Japan based at Singapore. Three to four days earlier, i.e. on 13th or 14th Aug.1945, Nonogaki flew it to Saigon. He found snag in the left engine, repaired and reached Saigon from Singapore. (R-975)

Ground Engineer Nakamura alias Yamamato told pilot Takizawa that at Saigon the troublesome left engine was removed and a brand new engine was fitted. (T-367)

As Japan surrendered all planes were grounded. There were many bombers and transport planes at Saigon. One of them was dragged for Netaji.

Field Marshal Terrauchi arranged a special plane for Netaji.

3. Occupants of the plane. See Chart Appendix-B

4. Destination.

Not Known. (A-69)

Saigon, Hsinkig (Chungchang), Manchuria via Dairen. (B-223)

Dairen. (G-539)

Shinkyo, Manchuria. (H-108)

Tourane, Heito, Taipei, Dairen, Tokyo, according to Kono (H-147)

Tokyo: version of Rahman. (H-142)

5. Rests at Tourane.

Halted at Tourane. (A-111)

In near by barracks. (B-225).

Gen.Shidei and Netaji shared a room (B-225)

In a hotel that served as army hostel (G-540)

Stayed at Morin Hotel (H-108). Military police Major whisked away to a hotel near the beach. (H-147).

Bose was alone resting in his room. (H-147)

Took rest at Tourane for the night. (J-271)

Landed at Tourane, Indo-China. (O-182)

Netaji shared room with Gen.Shidei. (Q)

Netaji and Gen. Shidei spent night gossiping at the aerodrome of Tourane (T)

6. Number of occupants.12. (G.539). 13 (H)

7. Sitting arrangement. Only Hayashida differs. (H-110, H-146). Fallacy is mentioned in the text already.

At Saigon Netaji told colleagues that bomber had capacity of six persons plus pilot and five Japanese officers were already occupying the plane. Only one seat for him was available. (G-539), (S-502)

8.Landing at Taipei (Taihoku).

Rahman told Ayer. Landed at 11 A.M. (A-111)

Plane reached Taipei’s Sungshan (called by Japanese Hastuyama) airstrip at about noon. (B-225)

The flight took six to seven ours and landing was smooth. (G-540)

Rahman to Hayashida- Landed at 1.30 P.M. (H-142)

Landed in the afternoon (J-271)

Reached at 2 P.M. (O-180)

9.Halt-at-Taipei. Guards of the airstrip pitched a tent. (B-225)

There was a tent set up near the airstrip. (G-40)

A tent was pitched for Japanese Prince Kanin who was to pass through.  (H-108).

Inside a tent – Kono  (H-148).

Had lunch. (O-182). Note some books mention inside the canteen.

10. Attire.

Netaji was in cotton khaki Rahman (A-114). No mention of sweater; He was in cotton khaki slacks and bush shirt. (A-112)

He put on woolen sweater that Rahman handed over to him. (G-540)

Kono: Bose took out the woolen sweater and put it on. (H-148)

11. Span of halt at Taihoku.

35 minutes. (A-72 and 112)

Start from Tourane at 5 A.M. Flight of 7 hours. Reached at midday. Take off at 2 P.M. and therefore halt of two hours. (B-221)

Left Tourane at 5 A.M. 6 to 7 hours flight. Hence reached between 11 to 12 noon at Taipei. Took off at 2.30 P.M. Hence halt two and half to three and half hours. (G-540)

Took rest for two hours. (H)

Brief halt. (J-271)

Reached at 2.00 P.M. and took off at 2.30 P.M. Hence halt of 30 minutes. (O-182)

12Checking the plane.

1. The plane refueled. No mention of fault. (A-111)

2.The crew took two hours to refuel and recheck the Plane. (B-223)

3. Maj.Kono and ground personnel checked the engines and noticed a problem with the left engine. There was some unusual vibration. He knew not the source or what to do about it. Maj.Takizawa adjusted the engine and they hoped the problem was solved. Maj.Kono felt the plane was still overloaded. (G-540)

4. Maj.Kono and maintenance officer Nakamura checked the engines.

5 Maj.Kono found the left engine defective. The pilot Takizawa tested the engine twice. Afterwards, they confirmed its airworthiness. (H-109).

6. Brief halt. After refueling took off. Rahman (J-271)

7         Maj.Kono told Hayashida, ”Maj.Takizawa checked the engines. I stood outside the plane watching testing. Felt knocking in the left engine.”     (H-148)

8. No mention of refueling or checking (J)

9. Plane refueled. (O-182)

13. Runway length

890 meters. (B-227, 228)

1500 meters. As before the plane required the full length for take off.           (G-540).

890 meters. Normally tail gets lifted at half the distance. In this case it took three-fourth distance, (H-109)

14. Take off time

2.35 P.M. (A-111)

2 P.M. (B-228)

Ready to go at 2.30 P.M. (G-540)

2.00 P.M. (H-108, 148)

After a brief halt it took off. No mention of time. (J-271)

Just after take off. No time. (O-187)

15. Altitude of the plane

Gained 200 to 300 feet. (A-112)

We had been up in the air only minute or two, Rahman to Ayer.            (A-112)

It was barely airborne, (B-227, 228)

30 meters p. (G-540)

Kono to Hayashida, “We had not been in the air for more than ten minutes. (H-143)

Kono mentions 20 meters. (H-148)

A few minutes later. (J-271)

Just after take off. (O-187)

Rahaman – 500 feet. Rahaman – 200 feet.

The plane made about two rounds around Taipei aerodrome. One propeller fell down. The plane made three to four summersaults and crashed to the ground. (Ram Shewalkar et al, ‘Deshgaurav Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose’, Marathi. Page 32. Published by Maharastra Rajya Sahitya Sanskruti Mandal, Mumbai. When queried Prof. Shewalkar informed that reference was vide article of P.N.Oak of Pune. Oak corresponded with me. Oak died on 6th December 2007)

16. Explosion?

Sudden deafening noise. (A-112)

A loud explosion was heard. (B-227)

Version of explosion wrong. Six out of seven survivors denied loud explosion preceding crash. (B-227)

Major Kono testified, “ It did not explode when it contacted ground.                     (B-228).

There was loud noise. (G-540)

Rahman told Hayashida, “A deafening noise was heard.” (H-143)

Kono, “ We heard a loud explosion coming from the left front.” (H-148)

(J) or (T) mention not.

17. Engine and propeller of port side.

Later learnt that one of the propellers of port engine had broken. The engine was out of action (A-112). Note neither propeller nor engine fell.

The propeller and port engine fell out. (B-228)

Experts opined that propeller and engine could not have been away in mid-air (B-228)

Varied versions. Experts reconstructed accident. (B-228)

Part of the left engine including propeller had fallen. (G-540)

The propeller and port engine fell out. (H-109, 112)

The left engine was ripped off. (H-118)

Rahman mentions not. (H-142)

(J) or (T) maintain silence.

18 Tilt of wing

The plane was already wobbling. The pilot is making supreme efforts to balance the whole right of the plane on the starboard engine. (A-112)

Made a steep ascent. Left engine failed. The plane tilted to the left. The plane dived to the ground. Experts call it irrelevant and illogical. (B-227)

Pilot could not control the aircraft. No tilt mentioned. (G-540)

The plane tilted to the left and dived to the ground. (H-109)

The plane took a nosedive and its left side ploughed into the ground. (H-112).

Kono, “The plane tilted to the right. (H-148)

Takizawa desperately tried to get the tilted plane back to normal but the plane lost entire speed. In a moment it crashed upon the ground with right wing hitting the ground first. (H-148)

(J) or (T) maintain knave silence.

19. Crash

‘We are losing height pretty fast and in no less than a few seconds the plane crashed on the nose. (A-112)

In entire Japan’s war history no such parallel. (B-227)

Tilted to the left, belly-landed. Overshot. (B-228)

Ploughed into mud fence. (B-227, 228) The tip of the plane’s right wing hit the mud fence. (B-228)

With the crash they hit the ground. (G-540)

The plane tilted to the left. The plane dived to the ground and crashed.   (H-109)

The plane took a nosedive, crashed, and its left side ploughed into ground. (H-112)

A few moments after the take off the plane crashed on the outskirts of the aerodrome.  (J-271)

Just after it took off it caught fire and dived steeply and crashed.          (O-182)

The plane crashed in an agricultural field. (S-504)

20 Fire/ Blaze

The plane already smashed and was burning. (A-113)

When the right wing hit the mud fence the plane burnt up about a      minute later. (B-228)

Within seconds there was fire raging. Fire started at the fuel tank inside the fuselage and spread fast. (G-540)

The plane dived to the ground and caught fire. (H-112)

Left side plunged into the ground and caught fire on the front portion.        (H-112)

Kono, “And it bursts into flames. The entire plane was engulfed in flames” (H-148)

Rahman, “Plane went into spin and crashed to the ground in no time, its nose hitting the ground first. The petrol tank exploded. The plane caught fire. (H-143)

Caught fire (O-182)

For three days body of the plane was burning. (R-995). If so how Sakai collected burnt jewellery two hours after the crash?

21. Pieces after crash

Broke into two large parts. (G-540)

The front part of the plane split told Rahman to Hayashida. (H-113)

Kono says, “We found the plane ripped into pieces with the extreme rear portion completely blown out. (H-148)

22. Site of the crash

Crashed on the outskirts of the aerodrome. (A-112)

The bomber overshot the airstrip and ploughed into mud fence.             (B-227, 228)

Crashed near the edge of the airfield. (G-540)

Crashed about 10 to 20 meters from the boundary of the aerodrome.        (H-112)

Crashed at the outskirts of the aerodrome. (J-271).

Crashed in an agricultural field beyond aerodrome. (R-504)

23. Condition of passengers.

Note the entire plane was in flames in a minute.

Rahman, “I recovered consciousness after a few seconds. Netaji was on feet and moving. Clothes burning. (A-112)

Rahman,” Bose and I jumped out through fire.” (B-229)

Rahman seated near Bose was momentarily knocked unconscious.(G-541)

Shidei and Takizawa were killed instantly. Aoyagi and two others died in the hospital. Lt.Col.Sakai, Maj.Takahashi, and Capt.Arai became senseless but regained consciousness in time. (H-113)

Kono says, “Shidei, Takizawa, and Aoyagi lying dead in plane. (H-149)

(Aoyagi deposed before Khosla Commission.)

Shidei was killed on the spot. (J-271)

24. Vehicle to hospital.

Military ambulance. (A-113)

By Motorcar fifteen minutes away to the hospital (B-229)

A car and an open truck were brought out to the edge of the field. The injured including Bose and Rahman were taken to Nanmon Army Hospital. Dr. Taneyoshi Yoshimi, the surgeon in charge who never heard of Bose was told that he was Chnadra Bose. Bose was naked except for the blanket wrapped around him. (G-541) What a co-incidence in reality in 1977!

Dr.Yoshimi says that he was informed by a Japanese staff officer Lt.Col Ishi that five to six japanese and two Indians injured in crash were brought in open truck. Pointing he showed Chandra Bose. Dr.Yoshimi did not know Chandra Bose.

Dr. Yoshimi identified heavily built foreigner as the Indian leader Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and the other foreigner as his adjutant Col.Rahman when he was brought in.

(PTI London reported unclassified documents of British Intelligence-1945. Indian Express Pune of 29/1/2000 disclosed about it that Dr.Yoshimi identified the heavily built foreigner as the Indian leader Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose (known as Kata Kana) and the other foreigner as his Adjutant Lt. Col. Rahman.

25. Intimation.

Called hospital shortly before 3 P.M. (G-541)

Hospital received telegraphic message immediately after crash. (H-114)

In P.T.I news Dr.Yoshimi states that injured were brought at 5 P.M.

26. Where treated?

Versions vary: Operation room, dressing room, and treatment room.


27. Injury.

Injured in head. (112)

Sustained deep head injury. (B-229)

Prof. Gordon avoids mention.

A very deep cut on the left side of his head. The cut was about four inches long. Rahman tried to stop bleeding with handkerchief. (H-113)

‘There were no bleeding injuries on his body’ says Dr.Yoshimi. (H-115)

Kono saw Netaji bleeding. (H-140)

Head injury. (O-182)

28. Condition of Netaji.

Netaji lost consciousness almost immediately after reaching hospital. Revived again relapsed in coma. (A-113)

Except brief spells, Netaji was conscious throughout. He spoke last words. (A-114)

Third degree burns, eyes swollen, He was in sense when brought and asked for water. Interpreter private Mitsui says Netaji talked. (G-542)

Netaji spoke four times, (116)

Rahman. ‘ He talked little and most of the time he was unconscious.


‘Retained consciousness until the very last moment’ as per Nakamura.     (H-152)

29. Time of death.

Death came peacefully at 9 P.M. on 18.8.45. (A-113)

Died at 8.30 P.M., on 18.8.45. (B-230)

Between 9 to 10 P.M. on 18.8.45 (G-542)

Died at 11 P.M. Dr. Yoshimi in news conference.

30. Body.

Rahman requested body to be carried to Singapore or Tokyo but due to practical difficulties taken to crematorium. (A-314) No mention that Rahman accompanied body to the aerodrome.

Body was taken to crematorium. (B)

Body could not be shifted so body was taken to crematorium. (G-543)

At the time of death persons present: 1. Dr.Yoshimi. 2. Dr.Tsuruta, 3&4 Two nurses. 5. Col.Rahman. 6. Nakamura. Where were Sakai and Nonogaki?

First telegram came to the Formosa Army Headquarters to send Netaji’s body to Tokyo. Another Telegram followed from Imperial Army H.Q. not to send body to Tokyo but cremate in Taipei. (Hayashida spells it Taipeh) No reason given for change of order. (H-118)

Note. Dr.Yoshimi in PTI news, “Coffin partly filled with lime. Coffin was put in a box and on 20th Aug. taken to airport South Aerodrome for transporting to Japan. This aerodrome was located near Matsuyama Aerodrome where aeroplane accident took place. Dr.Yoshimi says, “Body could not be taken to Japan for unknown reasons.”  S.A.Ayer was two hundred miles away from Taihoku and could have easily attended the funeral but he was dexterously avoided.

31. Cremation on 20/8/1945.

Cremation was done with full military honour. (A-114)

Cremated. (B-230)

Japan was in chaos. So the body was taken to crematorium. (G-543)

Cremation was a simple and quiet ceremony. Col.Rahman, Maj. Nagatomo the representative of Formosa army, Nakamura, the interpreter, and Buddhist priest only these four persons were present. Next day they collected Netaji’s ashes and kept in an urn in Honganji Temple in Nishi West. Is it not unbelievable? Note that Nakamura was planted as he was old associate of Netaji and could record dying statements.   (H-151)

32 Size of  box of ashes.

One and half square foot wooden box containing ashes with white cloth covering it. (G-544)

It was a cubical box of two feet dimension. Ashes were kept in a small wooden box measuring eight cubic inches. (H-119)

Kaleidoscopic discrepancies are germinated because there was no air crash. All versions are based on here say and original concocted story of Japanese Army H.Q.

Chart Appendix-A

1.             Terauchi arranged for Netaji to fly by a special aeroplane to Shinkyo, Manchuria. (H-106).

2.             A plane was ready with engine running for one hour. (A-70)

3.             Bose learnt that no special plane was available for his party. Gen.Shidei was to fly to Dairen and Bose was offered one seat and later two seats on the plane. (G-539) The plane was running for two hours.

4.             Gen.Isoda offered one seat in the plane bound for Tokyo via Dairen. (O-182)

5.             One of the few remaining bombers was dragged out of its shelter for a long flight from Saigon to Hasinking (Changchun), Manchuria via Dairen. (B-223)

Please note the variation of destination of the plane. Mr. Ayer mentions that destination was not known. (A-71). Mr. Jog mentions (J-271) Terauchi refused to divulge destination’.

Acquisition of plane

F.M.Terauchi sent his officers to Bangkok to receive Netaji on 16th Aug. (H-105). Regarding acquisition of plane there are two versions. According to one version Field Marshal Terauchi was contacted from Bangkok with Netaji’s request to go to Russia and after skirmish with the Imperial H.Q., Terauchi secured the permission and accordingly informed. (B-222). In another version F.M.Terauchi decided on his own to accede to Netaji’s request. (H-106)

Chart Appendix-B

Occupants of the plane with antecedents

On the plane were (1) Bose. (2) Gen.Shidei. (3) Rahman. (4) Tadeo Sakai, a staff officer of the Burma Army. (5) Lt.Col.Shiro Nonogaki, an air staff officer. (6) Maj.Taro Kono, an air staff officer who was sitting behind the pilot and assisting him. (7) Major Ihaho Takahashi, a staff officer. (8) Capt.Keikichi Arai, air force engineer. (9) Chief Pilot Major Takizawa. (10) Co-pilot W/O Ayoagi. (11) Navigator Sergeant Okishta. (12) Radio Operator NCO Tominga. (13) Gunner?

Number of occupants differs.

According to B-228 there were thirteen persons on the plane. On H-110 in seating arrangement twelve persons are shown. Major Taro Kono mentions thirteen occupants on page H-146. Total of dead and survived passengers differs.

Seating differs

The seating arrangement on H-110 is different. Kono’s version on page H-146 Netaji and Rahman are shown in the central row in the former and left row in the latter. There were no chairs.


One version mentions at Saigon the plane taxied, an Indian officer rushed in Sedan and stopped the plane and forced to accept two heavy suitcases full of gold and ornaments.

In another version Japanese were getting impatient but the car reached in time and two heavy bags of treasure were reluctantly accommodated.

Chart Appendix C

Fallacy of Netaji’s Ashes

Col.Guljara Singh, Col.Pritam Singh, Major Abid Hasan, Deb Nath Das, and S.A. Ayer were left at Saigon on 18th Aug. when Netaji left for unknown destination.

Except Ayer all left for Hanoi at 9 AM. Nigeshi, old friend, took Ayer to another plane to board for Japan. Mr. Fukuoka, Chief of Domei (Official News Agency of Japan, now known as Kyodo), joined and told that he was sorry for Netaji. He told Ayer not to enquire more. Old associate Rear Admiral Chuda declared that Netaji was dead. Col. Aoki accompanied Ayer in plane and left Saigon at 11.15 AM on 20eth Aug. (A-77.78.79.), Again Aoki knew Ayer since 1944 Burmese Front. (A-89)

Note others were systematically avoided and only Ayer was picked up. At 5 PM the plane landed at safe heaven of Gen.Hata’s Canton.

1.             It shows about five hours flight and if Netaji left Saigon at 5 PM he would have easily reached Canton by 10 PM. (without halt at Tourane). Ayer was given details of crash at Canton. Again at 6.30 PM all took off and landed at 10 PM on 20eth August in Taiwan. Ayer was deceived and purposely kept off from Taihoku and landed at Taichu just 200 miles from Taipei. (A-87) All Indian Officers could have attended collection of Netaji’s ashes on 21st Aug. At least Ayer could definitely. He was purposely avoided from Taipei, as he would have found out the truth.

2.             Ayer reached Japanese H.Q. Dai Hon Yei. Held meeting behind locked doors. (If Netaji died why secrecy?) A-99. It was on 22nd Aug. that Ayer signed the draft of announcement of Netaji’s death. He did so reluctantly without any proof.

3.             At cremation out of four Rahman and old associate Nakamura are shown. Where were Nonogaki, Sakai, Japan’s High Ups?

4.             Cremation was in full military honour (A-114). It was a simple and quiet ceremony. (H-118).

5.             Body was wrapped in bandage completely. Only eye-slits were open. (Who was inside?)   (G-543)

6.             a)             Body was to be taken to Singapore or Japan as per wish of Rahman.

b)             All mention that body was directly taken to cremation on 20th. However Dr. Yoshimi in PTI news narrates how lime was put in the coffin. The coffin was put in a large box and taken to aerodrome but it being too big could not enter the plane and hence was brought back.

c)             Body was kept in the temple for the night.

d)             Imperial General H.Q. sent first telegram to send body to Japan but second telegram followed asking to cremate in Taipei. No reason was given for this change of order. It means the planners were in confusion as to how to hide story of fake accident as Americans were in Tokyo.

7.             Transport of ashes was purposely delayed from 20eth Aug. to 5th Sept. The excuse put forward was that no plane was available and Rahman was unwell. Why inquiry commissions not verified whether any plane left Taihoku to Japan between 20th Aug. and 5th Sept?

Rahman got a seat in Ambulance plane and reached Tokyo with ashes on 6th Sept. He was taken to suburb for the sake of secrecy. (Why?) After two days first ashes and later Rahman were taken to Army H.Q. Note Hayashida mentions that half of Rahman’s body was in bandage and hand was in sling. However Ayer found nothing except bruises on hand. (A-115)

8.             a)             Rahman flew alone from Taipei to Tokyo with ashes. (A)

b)             Sakai and Rahman flew with ashes to Tokyo. (G-544)

c)             Rahman, Sakai, Nakamura, and Hayashida flew from Taipei and landed at Gansu. Thereafter Rahman and Nakamura flew ahead to Tokyo. Hayashida, Corporal Watanabe, and two privates carried urn of ashes and box of treasure by train from Gansu to Tokyo. Sakai accompanied them but was in first class compartment.  (H-9)

9.             a)             Rahman delivered ashes to H.Q?

b)             Ashes were taken from Rahman from suburb of Tokyo.

c)             Hayashida and Sakai delivered ashes to H.Q.

10.           a)             Murti and Rahman received ashes at Army H.Q. gate. (G-545) The urn was taken to house of Murti and after three days shifted to house of Mrs Sahay in Ogikubo where Ayer was guest for full one month. Forty cadets of INA prayed there for three days and then secretly the urn was shifted on 14th Sept. 1845 to Renkoji Buddhist Temple in Suginami district near house of Murti in the heart of Tokyo.

b)             Murti and Ayer received ashes from Army H.Q. (A + H)

11.           Staff of Hospital at Taipei was warned not to leak secrecy about Netaji’s death. (H) Secrecy of ashes mentioned throughout. Why?

10.     Renkoji Temple Ceremony of ashes on 14th Sept. and others mentioned on 18th.September.

11.     At Mrs Sahay Rahaman arrived and narrated how Netaji died and he brought ashes. He was wrongly arrested and officers of U.S. Army Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) interrogated him and released.


On 15/3/2002 I dispatched the second affidavit dated 14/3/2002 and requested to give me enough time in future if anything was required. It was stressful and taxing to compose reply from five hundred pages of notes, eleven hundred pages of diaries, and six books. The second affidavit was sent to the Commission by speed-post. This second affidavit is incorporated already in chronological order. I sent E-Mail on 17th March 2002 informing about the dispatch of second affidavit.

9/9/2002 After submitting Affidavit II and Annexures, there was no communication from JMCI. Therefore in disgust I wrote the following letter to JMCI:



Khaparde Garden


Date: 09.09.02


M Roy, IAS (Ret.)

Officer on Special Duty

Justice Mukherjee Commission of Inquiry

B Block (Third Floor)

11/A Mirza Ghalib Street

Kolkata-700 087

Dear Sir,

This is my last communication. I came across some vital references regarding air-crash that I am enclosing as supplementary to the chart already submitted.

The eerie and stoic silence, queer quiescence, and quaint quietude on the part of the Commission is quite is perplexing and perturbing indeed.

Because of the fantastic claims before the earlier two Commissions and before you too, I appreciate, it is but natural to be apathetic about a claimant like me.

A man who waved off demand of thirteen crore rupees, only for the sake of authenticity and official recognition, must be stupid or a stalwart; lunatic or learned; idiot or ingenious.

Let me assure you that Subhash Chandra Bose was very inward and secretive personality. He opened his mind to only three persons: Sarat Chandra Bose, the elder brother; Hemant Kumar Sarkar, a confidante from 1912 to 1919; and collegiate chum Dilip Kmar Roy. I am the fourth in the line in his life.

This is not a shallow faux pas. There is not an iota of egoistic                  self-aggrandizing exaggeration in it.

It may be brought to your notice that Uttamchand Malhotra personally told me that Netaji escaped from Bangkok and the Sally bomber supposed to have crashed reached Singapore base safely afterwards. (?)

I know, after my deposition, the Commission would not require any document or file from any quarter of the world.

My correspondence with the Commission is sufficient enough to suffice would be objections from historians, scholars, scribes, and publishers.

With best wishes, adieu

Yours faithfully



About the author



Comments are closed.