Legal matters in Calcutta

Posted By Author on June 17, 2010

After bath, I completed diary.  Kalibabu’s mother came and I was shocked when she said she came to know that I was a good palmist and that I should see her hand. She was very unhappy. She lost her elder son and husband and wanted to join them. I consoled her.  After breakfast Gobindbabu and Ramenbabu came.  By taxi all of us reached Niharendudada’s house and in his car reached the High Court.

I came to know that Radhakantji was in Calcutta.  Niharendudada gave me brief of the Hitavada case for reading and went for his work.  I was in his chamber.  Radhakantji arrived at the chamber.  He was upset. He said he would run cases as citizen.  He is awfully disgusted with Ratan and told me about Ratan’s adultery and affairs and how Shomu’s father left Ashram because of him.  Everything was intriguing and perplexing for me.  Both of us went to District court.  The lawyer of Hitavada was down with heart attack. Next date was fixed July 25th 1966.  Radhakantji told Niharendudada to pay fees to some lawyer Dixit and he got enraged.  He said he did not take fee and that he did not have treasure to distribute money.  He told me, “Radhakant is a fool.  If anyone comes to know that my wife is cashier they will trouble her and money will be exhausted.”

Then we met the lawyers Lahiri and Ramen Mukherjee.  Lahiri was inquisitive and Radhakantji cautioned me timely.
While driving to the court Niharendudada showed me a statue of Lokamanya Baal Gangadhar Tilak in front of the Assembly. He himself raised question in the Assembly to install some statue at the façade.  First it was proposed to put Gandhiji’s statue but all were agreeable to Tilak’s.  Then with vigor he resented, “Nehru was a criminal.  Gandhi and Nehru alone are responsible for partition of the country.  They brought utter ruination.  Nehru joined Mountbatten and subdued Gandhi.”

From the court we reached his chamber. Gobind Shah was there.  He tactfully sent him out. We were two alone.  He took his Tiffin and asked bluntly, “Now tell me what do you think about Baba?”  I gave him identification marks especially vertical scar on brow and squint in the eye.  He became serious and thoughtful.  He expressed that Baba’s language was Sylheti (East Bengali) and I said people around him being that it could have had influence.  Both of us wanted to discuss a lot in privacy but then Arjun Arora, M.P., Indian Trade Union Congress veteran and associate of President V.V.Giri, arrived.  He was clad in Khadi shirt-pyjamas.  It was a grand personality with impressive stature, long curly hair and pink shining lustre. Some Dubey was with him. Dada introduced me to him.  Mr. Arora told that he knew Advocate Jodh of Amravati and I confirmed it.

Mazumdar and Arora were contemporary in national struggle. They were engrossed in Trade Union talk.  Then Niharendudada turned to me and told that both of them married late.  He narrated reminiscences, “We were in Delhi at Shaukatali’s place.  Zora (?) arranged party. Two artist girls were brought. Mr. …(forgot) proposed that every one of us should get married soon because by the time all of us would come out of jail we would be too old.  All agreed.  Nehru heard about the party and came over there.  He put arms around those two girls and took them away.  We were simply stunned and looking at them.”  It was amusing to see both of them remembering old days and venting out their feelings to me.

I took aside Radhakantji and convinced him and finalized that both of us would start by Kalaka Mail for Okhimath to see Baba.  My interest was that I would be free from cases.  I told about our plan to Niharendudada and requested to be excused for not attending dinner at his place.  He told me to call on his wife ‘Sarama’. He told Kalibabu to ring his wife and escort me to his home.

We reached his house.  Mrs. Mazumdar received us.  She had a lofty personality and command over English. She told me that all of them were waiting for Baba’s work for the last seven years.  She was displeased with Ratan’s behavior.  She was anguished about lavish spending. Then from funds of Ashram she gave Rs. hundred for Radhakantji’s expenses to go to Baba and promptly took his signature on receipt.

She urged that someone very near to him should convince Baba to start work. I said that man was with her and both of us laughed heartily.

We reached Kali’s house.  I packed up.  His mother and wife met and said in one day I won their hearts and became homely.  Ramenbabu went to bank telling me to convey his message to Baba that Radhakantji spent money lavishly. Gobindbabu came to see us off. Radhakantji and I boarded the train without reservation at 6 P.M. He slept over my suitcase and his two hundred and fifty pounds body squeezed top and bottom together.

About the author



Comments are closed.