Plight of Subhash & Baba

Posted By Author on September 22, 2011


I had a duel of hot exchange of words with father.  He was annoyed with prolonged stay of my guest viz.  Haribandhu.  Brother was back from Bombay just then.  He saved the situation.  Although both of us, husband and wife, were earning-hands, juniors always had to compromise and curtail individual freedom as well as likes and dislikes in a joint family.

I discussed Shri Baba’s note with Haribandhu.  He was not repentant in the least.  He was reluctant to go to Shri Baba.  He was brooding over nearly starving situation at his home.  He said before leaving my house to unknown destination he would drop a last letter to his mother that it was the last time she saw him when he left for Amarkantak.  I was shocked and worried about his pessimistic state of mind. He was skeptical and had no illusion that Shri Baba would ever start the work.  Disgustingly he said he was hearing promises from Shri Baba for the last nine years.  In a fit of anger he left the house to calm himself down.  He returned and on his request we went to telegraph office to send telegram to his brother Dinbandhu at Shaulmari and a letter to Gobind Shah to come on 15th (This was on 8th Jan.69).


Deputy Superintendent of Police, uncle Chande came and was inquiring about Shri Baba’s whereabouts. Dodged him. The Government is still clueless


I bluffed my mother that I was going to morning-college and would be delayed till evening, as I would be busy in arrangement of the annual social gathering of the college.  Straight I went to stand and caught Bhokarbardi bus.  I had to bluff near acquaintances. My close friend Dr. Ghiya’s eldest brother-in-law Chandubhai Dhablia, who had taken road construction contract near Dharni, was in the bus and he was inquisitive.  I bluffed that I was going to the ranger of forest at Shirasban for some matrimonial talk. I had to bluff near acquaintances in the bus about my purpose of visit to the Melghat.  The bus failed after Behali and I switched over in Hanif Seth’s empty timber truck. One Mr. Shukla, nephew of Prof W.P. Pande of English at V.M.V. (my college) was in the truck.  He knew me well.  He was an overseer in P.W.D. and knew my destination. Some people call the stream below Ghuguria Bridge as river Shirasbani.  I reached the huts.  Shri Dada and Gitamasi welcomed me.  Dada enquired about Haribandhu’s arrival and I told him that he would not come.  Dada said he was required to fetch water from the stream below.  It meant that he was not concerned about Haribandhu’s plight but wanted him to meet personal need.  Gita informed me that Ram Kisan Seth (Rammu Seth) was rebuffed and warned never to come to the camp by Shri Baba.

I told both of them that I was to return by 2 P.M. Dada informed that Shri Baba was closed in.  I decided to be back without seeing him.  Dada said Shri Baba wanted to discuss something with me.  Fortunately clapping was heard and Gitamasi rushed in.  On hearing about my arrival he came out and both of us sat near Gita’s hut.

First we pondered over Haribandhu’s fate.  I informed that witnessing his suicidal intention I sent a telegram to Dinbandhu and a letter to Gobind Shah to reach Amravati by 15th.  Shri Baba was perturbed and told that his destination would be disclosed and therefore he would have to shift.  I assured him about secrecy and my further decision.

Shri Baba proposed that Haribandhu should go to Budhiballabh Penoli at Rishikesh and for his stay rupees hundred would regularly be sent or he should go to Ramprasad Malhotra at Kanpur for a job and that on his behalf I should write a letter of recommendation.  I confidently cautioned that Haribandhu would not go for a job.  Shri Baba proposed that Chandrashekhar should engage him as servant on his agricultural land.  I refused claiming that a person whom our relations were like brother could not be a servant.  Then Shri Baba proposed that he would write a letter to Advocate Narsingdas Agrawal.  I opposed the proposal outright and reminded him that Mr. Agrawal had tersely told me that he had cut off all relations with Baba and that his money given on loan should be returned.  Moreover I disclosed that Hari was not in a mood of service.  Shri Baba said that if he went to Calcutta, police would catch him. I remarked that let his brother decide it.  Shri Baba dejectedly said that if it was his lot he should suffer.  After a pause and postulation Shri Baba enquired whether Haribandhu would come back to him.  I told him that Haribandhu would return only if he would write a letter himself.  Shri Baba became grave and adamant and rejected it.

Next topic was that he would not come out for another five years.  He would not start work as we people were committing mistakes.  I plainly apprised him that work or no work it was not for our personal benefit but for humanity.  Therefore I was not impatient at all.  If he desired he may do the work.  Shri Baba informed that he already completed common work.  However if he was not in a position to do a permanent cure then his work was of no use.  I remained silent and subdued.  Shri Baba then gave a dictation:

Baba dictated the personal note.

“ In relation to the work undertaken the Devil is everywhere on the prowl and morbidity of human nature is not caring to retain what they received has left myself so disgusted that very often I do not like to remould what is lost in an individual.”

Baba narrated, “Last Sunday I with Ramkishna (Rammu Seth of Paratwada) reached here at about 8.30 P.M. and he left at about 10 P.M. As it would take time to cleanse the wheat and to grind it, he told me there at Achalpur that next day he would send ground flour by his own driver. In the mean time the Devil was in full operation and devilish suggestions were taken in by his injudicious mind. In consequence he did not send flour through his driver. Here I gave him three days to correct himself of his own free accord. On third day evening a very stern letter of rebuke was sent to him telling him not to come here on next Sunday with the remaining portion of money in ‘Bhiksha’ as he by his stupidity has proved quite unworthy of offering ‘Bhiksha’ to a Sadhu. So here it ends and I am in no mood to cast a corrective force upon him. If nature does I may have no objection but I on my part am disinclined to work it out.”

(Netaji or Baba always resented if anybody failed to do given work, or keep time schedule or backed out on promised word. Compromise was not the word in his lexicon.)

I located the earlier dictation meant for Haribandhu.  It is on a piece of paper, which is too fragile and on borders is eaten by bookworms.  It is kept in the diary.

Shri Baba then ordered me to be with him on Sunday.  I expressed my inability due to many reasons.  He was indignant and warned me in Hindi not to reach the camp without prior intimation.  I maintained silence.  He then told me not to send money to Gita’s mother and they expended the amount kept for her. One tribal named Rewa was engaged on daily wages.

Shri Baba then disclosed that his programme was not definite and that any day he might leave for Trimbakeshwar (Nasik).  I did not say anything.  He then told me that he was going to be closed and come out in the last week of that month, i.e. January or in the first week of February.  Then he would collect a sum of rupees two thousand and five hundred and send money to Dinbandhu and Gita’s mother.  He would also make provision for Dada and Gita.  He further warned that in case he came to Amravati and if Chandrashekhar, Prabhakar or myself came to know about it, in any case we should not see him or contact.  I requested that I would bring a car for journey and he retorted that there was no need. He would go afoot.  Again I resorted to silence and decided not to take risk to bring some rich people for money. He informed me that some engineer from the Forest Department had been there to see Him.  Then he told Gita to prepare coffee and ‘halva’ for me.  I gobbled it.  While leaving him, he handed over some ‘mosambis’ raisins for Haribandhu warning me to tell him that Gita has sent it. I assured him but I admired his soft corner for Hari.

At 3.15 P.M., I got the bus and by 6 P.M. reached home.  I had a chat with Haribandhu immediately.  He was nervous.  He narrated an incident that Radhakant held the hand of Shibnath Bose’s only daughter Mala aged fourteen and that she too confessed.  I knew it was impossible and even if it happened to do so Radhakant must have done it in fatherly spirit.  He could not be that mean even in dream.  At Paratwada I came across Advocate Vijay H. Deshpande and to his inquisitive query bluffed him.  Unfortunately later he informed my mother about our meeting and my lie that I was in the college whole day was bared open.  However on request she promised to keep it to herself.

I have dropped all description of my fever, dehydration, wounds of the accident, etc that caused much personal discomfort.


I met Setu Madhaorao Pagdi and his wife at the college.  He was chief guest and a well-known authority on history. I worked under his chairmanship as a member of the Maharashtra State District Gazetteer Committee, which is formed once in a century for revision. Later he played a very crucial role in my life concerning the Ashram.


Gobind Shah’s telegram came from Calcutta informing that along with Dinbandhu both were starting by Calcutta-Bombay mail on 16th night.  Actually telegram came yesterday night but I received it today.


In the evening managed a car and with Haribandhu and Chandrashekhar rushed to Badnera.  Reached just in time. I received Dinbandhu, elder brother of Haribandhu, from Shaulmari Ashram.  Gobind Shah could not come, as his daughter was serious.  Haribandhu thought I cancelled the telegram inviting his brother.

We took a halt at hotel Neelam for non-vegetarian dinner. Haribandhu was reluctant to go to Shri Baba.  However Dinbandhu convinced him not to worry about home and that he must attend to Shri Baba.  Things shaped well.  Chandrashekhar left and we reached home.  My wife moved downstairs and made room for Dinbandhu. We retired.


Via morning college reached bank and withdrew rupees nineteen only. With Haribandhu and Dinbandhu we finished lunch at home.  In the afternoon Prabhakar and Chandrashekhar joined and all of us went for outing.  I purchased pickles for Dinudada.  Then we went to a famous movie ‘Bridge on the river Kwai.’

Dinbandhu said he was seeing a movie after thirteen years and that his eyesight was waning.  He lamented that his two daughters and a son were getting hard of hearing for want of medicine.  Horrible.

We returned home and finished dinner.  I had already sent a telegram to Gobind Shah to receive Dinudada at Calcutta.


Got up early.  Offered breakfast and tea to the Ashram brothers.  Sister-in-law gave Tiffin to   Dinudada.  In Dandge’s car we hurried to Badnera at 7.30 A.M. The Mail Express was already on the platform.  I put Dinudada in Nagpur Bogie.  I paid rupees hundred and fifty to Dinbandhu to meet the cost of his long journey to North Bengal.

Before leaving house both brother had curtsey to do Pronams to my parents and I told them that both were leaving for Calcutta.

I had rupees fifteen left in my pocket.  Dinbandhu was strictly warned not to disclose Shri Baba’s destination to anyone.  I could not take Haribandhu at home as I lied that he left.  So at Rajkamal square we got down.  Haribandhu parted with his thirteen month old long hair and beard in a cutting saloon.  When we left I forgot my camera there.  Chandrashekhar refueled his car and we proceeded to Paratwada but I realized I forgot Dandge’s camera so after crossing six miles we came back and were relieved to get the camera.  We resumed our journey by car.  It was 9.30 A.M.

We arrived at the campsite at 12.30 P.M. Leaving Haribandhu in car both of us climbed the knoll towards the huts.  From the top I took snaps of the enclave.  Gitmasi detected us.  We went down to huts.  She was jubilant to see us.  She rushed in and gave message about our arrival.  Shri Baba immediately came out.

I made Pronams to him.  He was eager to know the state of affairs.  I narrated the precarious position of the people in the Ashram and that Dinbandhu came and left.  That Chandrashekhar and Haribandhu were with me waiting outside.  Shri Baba told me to call both of them.

Haribandhu narrated everything about the Ashram as informed by Dinbandhu.  He told Shri Baba that Dipu, Ramanidada’s son, took forcibly possession of the medical shop at Falakata from his uncle Montubabu.  Shri Baba was glad to know it and he immediately called Ramanidada and Gita and related the fact.  Then Hari told that people of the Anand Marg Sect were canvassing against Congress in the elections and that in Falakata they threatened that people of Falakata ousted Founder of Shaulmari Ashram who was to change the face of the country and for that heinous act people responsible would be buried alive, etc.  All talk went in Bengali.

After giving a patient hearing Shri Baba told me that Founder of the Anand Marg (Sarkar?) met Niharendu Dutt Mazumdar and expressed his desire to see Shri Baba.  Baba refused.  Then Baba rebuked the Blitz for false propaganda against the Anand Marg and also police for not taking any action when some Anandmargis’ fingers were brutally chopped.

Shri Baba’s mood seemed jubilant.  He told me that my friend Divisional Forest Officer (D.F.O.) was allowed to see Him.  I knew Anand Patwardhan, my contemporary in college, was follower of ‘Ma’ Brhmakumari of Mount Abu. One Mr. Desai, my neighbour was First Class Magistrate at Amravati.  He happened to go to Baba’s Darshan at the camp.  He got the audience and he was so impressed by Baba’s personality, magnetism, and knowledge that he spent the whole day there.  Took a broom and cleaned the courtyard.  He expressed that he would give up the job and family and remain with Baba permanently.  Baba admired his zeal but dissuaded him from the rash action.  Baba promised him to call at proper time. Mr. Desai was a starange person indeed.

We were served lunch of ‘khichari’ inside.  Then I took snaps of huts, Ramanidada, Chinu with mother, etc.  Shri Baba came and expressed his desire to see the hill station Chikhaldara.  Therefore we left Haribandhu and servant Reva to guard the huts and with Shri Baba, Dada, Gita and Chinu left in Chandrashekhar Dandge’s car at 2.30 P.M. It was a pleasant drive and a fine chat about the area, tribals, water scarcity, planning etc.

In Chikhaldara we drove over the lower and upper plateau.  Showed them coffee plantation of the British missionaries, the company garden, lost way to Bir tank and hence dropped, to Hurricane point, Sakkar tank where we came across a bus of Saraswati Vidyalaya of Amravati. From Devi point showed the Gawilgarh fort.

At sunset we left the hill station.  We were heading in twilight and hence saw lot of wild animals along the road-peacocks, hens, deer, fox etc.  Chinu was in my lap and was very ecstatic to see wild life.

We arrived at our destination at 5.30 P.M. I was served coffee promptly. Shri Baba made fun of Chandrashekhar by posing him a question as to how to start today and reach yesterday.  He could not answer.  I explained about the International Date Line.

Before leaving for Chikhaldara some villagers came and had Shri Baba’s ‘darshan’.  They burnt sticks of incense and put before him.  Shri Baba then informed that Gendalal Jain Seth of Paratwada had been there but Shri Baba was closed in and consequently he left.  Chandrashekhar told Baba that Gendalal was the son-in-law of the richest man of Indore Viz.  Hukumchand.  Shri Baba asked Chandrashekhar as to how much money should he ask to him and he told rupees one thousand.

Shri Baba decided to call upon Gendalal Jain of Paratwada.  I dissuaded him and promised that I would arrange to send him.  His son was my classmate in college.  Shri Baba refused the proposal and said since it was ‘bhiksha’ he must go to him.  Moreover his arrival at the camp would affect his body much more.  Inexplicable.  I maintained silence.  Then Shri Baba told me that he ought to think peacefully or everything would be lost.  Hence provision up to ‘Falgun’ (month of Indian calendar near about March) was to be indispensably made.  He explained it to Haribandhu.

Without any further resistance the car was washed as per request.  Shri Baba occupied the rear seat all alone and in the front seat Haribandhu and I sat.  Chandrashekhar began driving.  The car was stopped in front of Gendalalji’s house.  His brother came to the car and asked us to wait as Gendalalji had been to privy. When Gendalalji came Shri Baba asked him a ‘bhiksha’ of two thousand rupees.  He probed as to who was Shri Baba and what for money was required.  He knew that one Suresh Padhye of Amravati lives with him.  Then Gendalal expressed his inability to pay, as he was an outsider for the town. Shri Baba told him to give whatsoever at his will.  He offered rupees fifty-one and directed me to write his name and amount on a piece of paper.  Off we moved and Shri Baba ordered to stop the car in the main market.  He told us to go to every big shop and bring the owner before him.  I flatly refused telling him that all people knew Chandrashekhar and me very well and hence would not go.  Shri Baba maintained a grim silence.  I knew he was hurt but I was helpless.  We were directed to the vegetable market.  Chandrashekhar and Haribandhu went for purchases of ‘Mosambi’, bananas, vegetables, etc, to spend the last penny of the rupees fifty-one received just then.  When both were away Shri Baba came out and stood near the car.  He then gave the following dictation at 9.30 P.M.

“You just lost another opportunity of acquiring the ability for conquering money power for a Divine cause and such a chance perhaps you will seldom get.”

I agreed with him but elucidated that if my brother and parents came to know about my begging I would be badly exposed as I lied with them and maintained the whole affair a top secret.

We had a short argument.  He said, “You cannot give up worldly things.”

I agreed and said otherwise I would not have married.  I further added that materially I did not lose much as compared to the Ashramites.  However if members of the Ashram or their dependents die for want of money and if later on money was showered on them, it would be of little consequence.

Shri Baba said, “Suresh, I agree with you but my will is lost.” He then gave Divine and cosmic reasons because of which he could not come out and start work.

I dared to remind him that I promised to bring him and shouldered his responsibility and secrecy for twenty-five days as desired by Him.  So far I maintained my word but then I was getting helpless.  Again He maintained grave silence and then decided to camp outside the town till he collected the money.  Then He said,” If you would have called the shopkeepers before me, you would have witnessed the fun as to how money comes.”

After refilling petrol we proceeded towards Dharni road.  We were about two miles from Paratwada when Shri Baba told to stop the car near a well where a water tank for animals was built along the   roadside.  In the adjacent field under the first mango tree He ensconced on his ‘asan’.  He then gave us a list of his things to be brought from our camp.  He informed that he would sit for work at 10 P.M. It was already that time and we left.

We arrived at huts at 11 P.M. Gita collected the purchases. Trained by Shri Baba I prepared chapatis and she cooked vegetable.  All of us dined. Formerly Ramanidada would not take food whenever Shri Baba was away but then he developed immunity to it.  I described the events that took place. At 12.30 A.M. with things mentioned by Shri Baba we left the camp.


We arrived at the field at 1.30 A.M.  It was pitch dark.  Hearing the sound of car Shri Baba came forward to show us the torchlight.  We then sat near him.  A scorpion passed near us.  Our chat began.  None could ever talk before him but I was a daredevil.  I flatly told him, “I cannot see your suffering.  Why only Devilish people should live in luxury and rest should suffer?  How cruel is God or the Divine?”

Shri Baba heartily laughed.  Then He counted certain lunar dates.  Again discussion continued. Indirectly I asked him whether a ‘Sanyasi’ could re-enter “Grihasthashram’ to start worldly work. Again He laughed and got the point directed directly towards him.  He said he was not a ‘Sanyasi’. His was an inner ‘Sanyasi’.

Philosophy of Netaji confessed in autobiography is, “There is no life without suffering.

We discussed our present predicament. Again He repeated that he had lost the will and that the greatest blunder that he ever committed was in the belief that Man if shown his mistake would accept and try to correct it.

Shri Baba was in a pensive mood and spoke the truth,    “Suresh. I know I am capable of doing things and bring hell of money in three days. But once again I feel what for should I keep this material attachment and indulge in things (politics). Let things happen as they would.” Then in Hindi he uttered,

Jo mere pas ayega use jalakar rahunga

Meaning: How am I concerned? Those who would come near me (fire) I would burn them.

Comment: It is true whosoever came near him suffered like him. As a child his parents were worried about his errands and strange behaviour. Saratda was all and all for him. He suffered in jail. Lost his practice. Incurred debt. Hemant Sarkar was his most confidential and dear friend. He died early. His rustication crated great worries to family. Gandhiji adored him and made him President of the Congress to quell opposition. He contested consecutively and Gandhiji called Pattabhi’s defeat as his own. Netaji formed Forward Block. Its constitution formed on June 22, 1939 made it clear it was an organisation within the Indian National Congress and was meant to serve as a common platform for all Left elements inside the Congress. The goal was complete political independence for India, and the establishment of a political state. (J-170) He appealed to countrymen to come and join the Congress in their millions, enlist as member of the Forward Block. (J-173) Soon after he left the country. His followers had to lose Congress and drift without leader. After independence Followers revived Forward Block but split it into two factions viz. Marxist Forward Block and Subhasist Forward Block. (G-591) Is not the present Forward Block at variance from the constitution? Note Netaji’s article in Crossroads ‘Why Forward Block’ and ‘ The Role of Forward Block’ ( 180)

He joined hands with Hitler. He was defeated and committed suicide. He joined hands with Mussolini. People killed him and hanged his body along with his mistress in Florence. He joined hands with Tojo. He was deposed and hanged. Thousands of I.N.A. soldiers died and thousands were not cared for after independence. Emilie married with him and both mother and daughter Anita suffered without him. Pandey brothers served him since 1949 and suffered unimaginably. He established Shaulmari Ashram in 1959 and people gave their land and everything and became paupers. Ramani Ranjan Das became secretary abandoning lucrative practice and he and his family suffered untold misery and ignominy. Ramkrishnaji of Lucknow had to mortgage his house and he was suspended from service. Ramprasadji of Kanpur had to sell his ornaments and driven out by uncle. Sohanlal Kapoor lost his insurance policies and had to close his garment factory. Uttamchand Malhotra sheltered Netaji in Kabul. He was jailed and his property was confiscated. Who so ever offered money, as loan, were never t paid back. Thousands of Southeast Asians lost their property and ornaments. He visited my brother and both husband and wife died in an accident. It was mind boggling to think of his physical suffering right from childhood. Netaji’s life was a saga of suffering, sacrifice, storm, strife, struggle and failures. Destiny always played a cruel dance all throughout his life. Fortune never favoured him. Luck always deluded him. Fate always betrayed him. As he admitted in his letter to Dilip Kumar Roy, ‘his life was drifting like radarless ship knowing not where it would end.’ In the words of Edwin Arnold, Subhash’s life was ‘A man, a sigh, a sob, a storm, a strife’ (Quoted by Baba)

Dilip Kumar Roy was Netaji’s closest friend from college days. He sang in beautiful voice. He was with Subhash in London. He gave money for Subhash’s return passage to India after his resignation from I.A.S. I tried to contact Shri Dilip Roy at theatre road palace of his uncle Dr.Mujumdar. I could not locate him. For many years he lived in Pondicherry Ashram. (Now called Puducherry) He was the only person who could have talked with Baba on equal terms. I wanted to take him to Shaulmari Ashram under the disguise of other name. Unfortunately I came to know about him only when he died in Pune with his grandson. He was known as Dadaji. His centenary was performed on 25/1/98.

In Shri Baba and Subhash Bose’s life uncertainty and recklessness about money was the common feature. We are seeing uncertain life of Baba through these pages. Let us see view of Subhash Bose on this aspect. He mentions, “We are the pilgrims of eternity but we would much rather follow the unknown path. The uncertain future is always a fascination for us. We must have right to make blunders.” Both led life true to these words. Netaji believed, “the process of preparation needs renunciation.”  Before planning to rule the country for preparation he moved afoot throughout the country to study condition of the people in order to chalked out plan and engaged himself in meditation in the remote parts of the Himalayas. Since coming to India in 1947 he was busy in preparation for fourteen years and then established the Shaulmari Ashram keeping himself in line with Rishis, Munis, Gandhiji, Aurobindo, Vinoba, Dasgupta, and Rajendrababu. Since 1958 in four years he established the Ashram. Then blunder, upsetment of well laid out plan, and uncertain life again resumed till he left on pilgrimage to eternity.

It is a fact that Subhash Chandra Bose earned money only thrice in his life. In college he took students for tuition. As Executive officer of Calcutta Corporation he earned salary and fifty percent gave in charity. He received fifty pounds royalty for his book Indian Struggle when in Vienna. His brother Sarat would spend money for him. Sarat’s rich friends regularly contributed money to Subhash when he was busy in politics. His father made a provision of rupees five hundred per month for him. When he left for Vienna to recoup his heath, people contributed all expenses. He spent life for people and he presumed it was his right to receive money from people. In Netaji’s words, “I have once and for all dedicated my humble life to the service of my country, my countrymen have as much right to look after my welfare.” (G-262) Baba’s ideology was similar. He thrived on people’s money.  I personally did not like his loan taking, Bhiksha, and squeezing people for money. However he was confident to repay every penny but all the while hesitated to come out. He refunded loan of Germany and Japan. Had he usurped power in India he would definitely have refunded loan of Southeast Asians and resettled INA people.

I watched his pangs and apologetically admitted that it was out of my reach to get any more money. He was conscious of it and showed his realization.  Then I expressed my deep anxiety about his safety and requested him to send me a blank letter so that I would be off worry. He readily agreed and of his own recited my postal address and got it etched in his mind boggling memory. With heavy heart we parted from him at 2.30 A.M. I reached home after an hour and slept in the servant’s room with my coat as a blanket.

I forgot to mention that in the noon I gave newspapers to Baba and among it was Bharat Jyoti, a Free Press Journal’s Sunday Edition. In that there was an article by Yagee. I posed a question before Shri Baba whether He knew a person named Yagee.  He exclaimed, “Who? Sheel Bhadra Yagee!”  I confirmed it. He then disclosed that Yagee was Subhash Bose’s lieutenant.  He had been to China and claimed to have met Subhashbabu and declared a date of Subhash’s arrival in India. A foolish fellow! Then Shri Baba remembered and remarked that Yagee was a very turbulent type like ‘Dhote of yours’. (My close friend Jambuwant Dhote is Forward Block leader. Also M.P. And M.L.A.) Then he said that probably Yagee was an M.P. and might be very old and that he did not hear much about him. Mr. Yagee died at the age of ninety-one at Delhi on 27/1/96


I was in Nagpur to attend marriage of Ramesh Deshmukh. Today is the seventy-second birth anniversary of Subhash Chandra Bose i.e. Shri Baba. My heart ached to be at the camp.


Received blank letter as promised by Shri Baba. It meant that He reached safely back to the destination.


My friend Pandurang Pawar alias Banya talked on telephone and told me that Haribandhu was in his bookshop.  It was bolt from blue.  I rushed to him.  He gave a letter written by Ramanidada in his name but dictated by Shri Baba.  Again this letter is misplaced and a blank space is left in the diary.  However it seems there was a directive to send money.  I met S.D. Muley with Haribandhu and he advised that I should not approach Umarlal Kedia, a big gun of congress  party  of the town as well as my neighbour.  I called on Daulatbhai Desai who promised to collect money for the Ashram.  Then I got hold of my classmate, an industrialist Ramesh Bannore.  Told him my plight.  Put ten liters petrol in his car at my expense and pushed him off with Haribandhu to the campsite. It was 7.30 P.M. I was back at home and rested.

About the author



Comments are closed.